Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2008, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For the Florida cats...a little help please!

I have a customer who has an "area" in her front yard that currently only has 1 robiliini palm and she wants to fill in the rest of the space.....i suck at estimating size, so i will get a pic tomm. I would like some suggestions now though as to what to put around the palm....

a few things that came to mind as far as greens go:

1)dwarf cocoplum
2)duranta goldmound
3)croton

i would like opinions....the area isnt huge,but def can be filled in with about 8-10 small plants......
Old 10-06-2008, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A nice mixture of Banana Leaf croton and Mammy croton would be beautiful along with some minima-jasmine for ground cover.

Don't use the Duranta unless you are maintaining the property because it will get so big so quickly that you won't be able to see the Robilini after a while.

I don't know anything about the cocoplum. Just isn't something that I have used.

Maybe use some lariope to accent the crotons and jasmine to add some depth of dimension to the landscape and some mini-nugget pine bark mulch. (The cats meow for spreading and looks)
Old 10-06-2008, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you for the quick reply!
Well, I do take care of the property and i just converted the owners over to "full-maintenance" so I will be taking care of the plants on a continual basis. Since this is the case, would you say to maybe go with the Duranta?

Also, i'm going to look up the two Croton that you recommended as well as the jasmine. I will get a pic tomm of the area that I will be planting to give you a better idea of what you are looking at.

thanks for your help!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

can you get a pic of the jasmine by chance?
Old 10-07-2008, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

nm, i saw pics of some diff jasmine....

it's funny b/c i am taking a plant id class right now and the prof gave us a disk with tons of plants on it and i was searching to see what would look good for this job im doing and i thought the jasmine would make a great ground cover around the robilini.....

like i said, ill get a pic tomm and we can go from there.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Thank you for the quick reply!
Well, I do take care of the property and i just converted the owners over to "full-maintenance" so I will be taking care of the plants on a continual basis. Since this is the case, would you say to maybe go with the Duranta?

Also, i'm going to look up the two Croton that you recommended as well as the jasmine. I will get a pic tomm of the area that I will be planting to give you a better idea of what you are looking at.

thanks for your help!
I personally would not recommend using the duranta around the focal point of the bed. It will really take over and take away from the palm. If you can get them to allow you to put in a stand alone bed or renovate another bed, then you can use it as your focal plant but otherwise, try to stay with some smaller plants that will allow the Robolini to shine.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Where are you located? What is the microclimate of the bed (side of house)? It's hard to say without more info, florida is so diverse. Lirope is a safe, lame choice, and not so low maintenaince as people think (raking, dividing). Where are the pics? Stay away from Duranta, croton will spread. Need more info.
97 3/4 ton cummins, 20 ft landscape trailer, 14 foot dump trailer, mustang skid loader (with the single "T" handle so I can hold a soda in the other hand, exmark ztrs, ferris 36 wb, stihl everything else
Old 10-07-2008, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

">

I am thinking of going with croton around the robilini and green island ficus on the edges.....
Old 10-07-2008, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Duranta would do just fine as tall as the palm is.The jasmine will be more work in the long run.You have to edge it on all sides and line trim the top.What you need to do iis let us know what they have in the landscape now.You could wrap around the back of the palm with some ti plants to go with the one in the picks.Wrap the front of the palm with your gold mound and then use sonething like flax or african iris to bring it down.What ever you use as the lower row I would bring it down the drive in font of the shrub in pick 1.It looks like about 2 feet wide.Dwarf birds or knock out roses would work as well.
<a href="http://www.cklandscapingflorida.com/">www.cklandscapingflorida.com
Old 10-07-2008, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How about one or more of the dwarfer lantanas - the ones that have multiple colors of flowers as the flowerheads age? Or some of the newer hybrid Epidendrums (easy to grow terrestrial orchids with short internodes that keep them more dwarf than the standard) that bloom for 4-6 months at a time?