Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2002, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Help with my fert program

I am putting together a fert program for my first year doing apps.
This is what i have come up with so far, any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Round 1 - 13-2-5 w/Dimension @ 5lbs per K = .65lbs N
Momentum As Needed
Round 2 - 13-2-5 w/Dimension @ 5lbs per K = .65lbs N
Momentum As Needed
Round 3 - 5-10-31 w/10%iron @ 3.3 lbs per K = 1lb K, .16lbs N
Momentum As Needed
Round 4 - 32-5-7 @ 3.125lbs per K = 1lb N
Momentum As Needed
Round 5 - 32-5-7 @ 4.75lbs per K = 1.5lbs N
Momentum As Needed

Total N per yr = 3.96

Optional Merit with Round 3(preventative)
or Dylox with Round 4(curative)
Manage for Yellow Nutsedge
Drive 75 for crabgrass (late summer)

What do you all think?
Old 02-08-2002, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Awesome! Would make a nice model for any part of the cool-humid region. Where are you?
Steve
Old 02-08-2002, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Steve,

Thanks for the reply, I am located in northern virginia (zone 7), although I think that this area may be a little on the warm side of cool-humid. If so, is there anything that I should modify with my program? The 4lbs of nitrogen is in accordance with virginia tech's guidelines for high quality turf. The main grass type we see here is intermediate tall fescue.
Old 02-08-2002, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The intermediate and dwarf fescues are prone to brown patch. I think the Program can come down on N for the year and in the spring in particular. Recycling clippings really redues the N required. Amounts that they might recommend in the moderate fertility range might be better.

The inability to really buy what we need to keep N down but get a good shot of pre -emergent makes decisions tough.
choice goes from 0-0-7 w/something to 13% N with prex. I really like to be around a half pound of N with some in a slow form. This year I'm gonna go with a fert with .17 dimension and on a miniprill and only do one app. I think the greater particle density and higher rate dimension will be as good as a split lower rate on course standard particles.

Coming back in May with a very moderate dose of super slow release to spoon feed. Late June or early July it'll be same fert with separate surface insect control. Late Aug/Sept smack it with 1lb slow/fast release N and late Oct/Nov about a .4 lb soluble N, high K and micro pkg.

Trying for 3.5-3.6 lb N. Figure if a bunch is slow and clippings are recycled shouldn't be major peaks and valleys. About 2lb plus of K.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:42 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree w/ HBFOXjr on the 3.5lbs/N+ for Fescue... I only need to go heavier than that in "sandier loams"
I'm more in a "cool" region, so mine may not work as well for you, But we use 1 app. of Dimension 0-0-7 large pellets) in spring (with very good results)
We also apply Merit/Mach in our 2nd app. to control grub prone lawns (which are quite a few around here)

What are your application window dates?
Are you doing anything w/about Insect controls?
Old 02-13-2002, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Emerald

I'm in Medford, where are you? What %Dimension and how many pounds of fert in the single app have given the good control.

It's been so long since I single apped stuff some people are trying to worry me. My product salesman thinks I'll be just fine.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Agreed, If most lawns are Tall Fescue, keep the N at 13 for .5#N in the front half for Brown Patch concerns.
Steve
Old 02-13-2002, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

HBFOXjr, I'm just above Morristown, in Boonton.
Where is Medford, I have heard of it???
We use 1 APP. of Dimension .10% w/ 0-0-7 on "Mini-Fert"(my mistake before) Just started using Dim. last year w/ EXCELLENT results! before Dim., we used Pre-M on a 1 app. program w/ the same results... we really only switched because of the mess (or should I say LACK OF )
Old 02-13-2002, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm east of Philadelphia 15 mi, Burlington county. How many pounds did you apply per K ft?

I have friends up in Morristown and Whippany.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for your responses, Emerald and HBFOX,

After considering your comments I think I will go with rounds 1 and 2 at 4 lbs fert per K putting the N right around .5. I had bumped it up a bit to try to get to 4lbs per yr of Nitrogen. That is the recommendation from Virginia Tech. Also this is the first time many of my lawns will be recieving apps and I wanted a little more green up for customer satisfaction.

Looking it over though, I think more care should be taken to prevent disease issues than to get the most green up. Would your recommendations change for lawns that have not been adequately fertilized the previous fall?

I had planned to charge additional for insect and disease control so they were not listed in the standard package. I was thinking of Merit for customers who we don't maintain on a regular basis. We would monitor regular maintenance customer's lawns and apply controls as needed. Do you think any changes to this policy are needed, and what control measures have you had the most sucess with?

To answer your questions about the application timing.
Round 1 - Very Early March
Round 2 - Mid-Late April
Round 4 - Early July
Round 3 - Early September
Round 5 - Early November

Thanks again for your input.