Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-08-2008, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

HELP!!! w/ Leaf Loader Set-up For Leaves w/ Dump Insert

Alright guys, im in a little bit of a dilemma. I am almost positive i am going to go with a dump insert in my Ford F-250 instead of buying a relatively cheap dump truck. Im running with a 6x12 enclosed trailer. I am having trouble with what i am going to do for the leave. I do not want to pull 2 trucks and trailers, even though that can be a last resorts because i have 2 pickups. My leaf loader (Billy Goat 18hp) does not fit on the tongue of my trailer. I looked into having my trailer extended, but that is going to run about $800 to re-reinforce and weld to the beams. next year i am going to be getting a 7x14 dual axle, so i don't want to invest the money in this trailer, when i will be selling it. The leaf loader will fit on the current tongue leaving very little space, and im not sure if i will be able to turn without jack-knifing or having too much tongue weight. Also the leaf loaders exhaust will only be about 1-2 inches from the diamond plate on the front of my trailer. I do not know if i place the leaf loader on the actual tailgate of the dump insert, how many times i iwll be having to take it off. I plan on going about 2 feet over the cab of my truck with sides. How many leaf jobs will usually fit in this much space.
I am thinking about dolleying the leaf loader into my trailer, but that will be a pain in the A**. if anyone has any suggestions, or ideas, please let me know. Also, everyone out their especially with dump inserts, can you please post some photos of your leaf loader setups w/ the trailer. thanks
Old 10-08-2008, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 250 w/ a dump insert.i have a billy goat 11hp vac on the tounge of my enclosed.we extended the tounge @ 2' to be able to set the vac on the custom framework we added to the tounge.the reason i did it because i am solo.did not want to have to lift off the vac from tailgate to go dump.now i just have to disconnect my trailer and go dump.i leave the vac on only during my cleanups.after all cleanups are done i can store all 6 grass cans inside the framework so they don't take up trailer or truck bed space.i have 2' sides on the insert and bungee down a mesh tarp over the top.the framework that the vac sets on i think is @ 22"-24" square.i have no problems turning or worryingabout jack knifing the trailer.hope this helps.i will be setting up the vac maybe next week.i'll try to get some pics of it if you need.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin4$ View Post
I have a 250 w/ a dump insert.i have a billy goat 11hp vac on the tounge of my enclosed.we extended the tounge @ 2' to be able to set the vac on the custom framework we added to the tounge.the reason i did it because i am solo.did not want to have to lift off the vac from tailgate to go dump.now i just have to disconnect my trailer and go dump.i leave the vac on only during my cleanups.after all cleanups are done i can store all 6 grass cans inside the framework so they don't take up trailer or truck bed space.i have 2' sides on the insert and bungee down a mesh tarp over the top.the framework that the vac sets on i think is @ 22"-24" square.i have no problems turning or worryingabout jack knifing the trailer.hope this helps.i will be setting up the vac maybe next week.i'll try to get some pics of it if you need.
if you can get a picture i would really appreciate it. Also, what size is your trailer, single or dual axle and how much did you pay to have it extended.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Trailer is 16x8 tandem.a guy at work and myself did it one evening.cost me 300,inc. Metal.ill post pics as soon as i put the vac on.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

go to your local trailor shop and get a front receiver mount hitch for your truck and then you can mount the leaf loader on the front.i will take pictures of the mount i fabricated for my leaf loader tomorrow .draw tite made the front hitch i put on my chevy 2500 that i just sold.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

pictures of that front loader would be great. thanks
Old 10-09-2008, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Instead of the insert, and a dump truck, why not a dump trailer? Best investment i ever made!
Haulmark 6x12 Enclosed trailer
Bri-Mar 6x12,7x14 Dump Trailers
18hp Billy Goat Leaf Loader
Classen 5.5 Honda Power Rake
Stihl FS100RX, FS110 Trimmers
Stihl HL100K, HS81T Hedge Trimmers
4 BR600 Blowers
Stihl 029 Chainsaw
Honda 3 HRC216HXA Mowers
5 HS520A Snowblowers, 1 hs928was
Old 10-09-2008, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petr51488 View Post
Instead of the insert, and a dump truck, why not a dump trailer? Best investment i ever made!
then that brings me back to 2 trucks. Im trying to stay with 1 truck. also then the dump trailer is useless for weekly grass clippings. Do you use 2 trucks with this setup?
Old 10-09-2008, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdturd9726 View Post
pictures of that front loader would be great. thanks
this is the bottom mount of my giantvac welded to a 1/4 inch pc of steel plate with a pc of 2x2 stock welded to the plate,its heavy but very solid.slide
the 2x2 stock into the front rec hitch ,drill a hole for your pin and your done.i hope this helps.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2008, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M RASCOE&SONS View Post
this is the bottom mount of my giantvac welded to a 1/4 inch pc of steel plate with a pc of 2x2 stock welded to the plate,its heavy but very solid.slide
the 2x2 stock into the front rec hitch ,drill a hole for your pin and your done.i hope this helps.
thanks for the picture it really is helpful. if you can, can you post a picture of the loader on your truck w/ the tube going into the leaf box in your bed. thanks