Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-10-2008, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Led's

Hi Guys! 1st time here, not a newbie though. I'm a female so please be kind, read thru some of the threads...you guys can be brutal!!! LOL Got a couple of questions for you seasoned pros...have you had problems w the led retrofit bulbs ( bulbs coming off sockets, water and condensation collecting in bulb), i do not purchase cheap stuff or cut any corners, i prefer to go by the saying "quality not quantity". seems like last year there was alot of this going on ( 3 different companies, same problem), from the samples i got this year, it looks like they are bonding the plastic to the nickel base a bit better and the chip inside the bulb is encased in its own so even if there is moisture getting in it wont affect the led. As far as guarantee, there seems to be only 1 to 2 yr guarantees available, except for 1 company offering a 7 year seasonal use guarantee. I just find that with the price of leds being so much higher than incandescent a 1 to 2 yr guarantee doesnt justify the price to some of the clients. so how are you guys dealing with this subject? As far as profit would you say an average 30% net profit is in line with you guys, with 40-45% being more adequate for higher risk jobs (lifts, etc). And another thing... Pricing...I would like to know where I'm at w you guys... as far as LED roofline for a standard roof 1st yr im at $8.50 and for 50 ct LED minis 1st year (easy application) @$40/strand...I appreciate all your comments and help
Old 10-10-2008, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Those LEDs have been having those same problems since 2002. I've tested hundreds, and yes, even last year from "name brand" distibutors, and from what I have heard the franchises( Christmas Decor) all experienced the same thing-The glue between the plastic and the metal hub is not water proof. water gets into the socket. Anyone who does research on LED patents will discover they don't use copper , they use TIN for connections. and tin will rust in a second. The ceramic LED retro fit bulbs I used last year all leaked. luckily the led in encased in another seperate capsule, but disheartening nonetheless.

There is hope that this year will be the year that the 3 chinese factories that make these bulbs will get it right. Canada , Australia, Germany, and a few other countries have banned incandescent bulbs, so they will be selling more LED christmas lights than ever. One hopes that with volume comes success.

Pricewise I am at 8 per foot 1st year on LED c-9's and 4 per foot in year 2. i don't use the led minis.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

By the way- whats up with your screen name?
Old 10-11-2008, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi Mike! thanks for replying. my mom's initials and my birth yr but from readin it over and over i think ill be changin it dont think im liking the way it sounds! lol but i don't know how to!!!! so i guess im pretty in line with numbers, i dont charge by the ft or per strand, its the average i come up w after figuring cost, labor, overhead, etc. just wanted to make sure im somewhere in the vicinity. as far as the warranty...how are you dealin with that? thanks
Old 10-12-2008, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

we warranty all items bought from and installed by us for three seasons plus on install in season 4. I call it 3 years plus. all bulbs, clips, cords, timers, fuses, anything. After install on season 4 we charge a service fee this year of 85 plus parts to fix most things, that gets you 2 guys for 30 minutes on the job. we can rebulb in year 4 or 5 and extend the warranty for 3 years. we reccomend replacement of items in year 6-8.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks David! Just got a few more led samples and lo and behold, one hard twist and they came loose! lol
Old 10-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Sponsor

Who makes these bulbs you all speak of?