Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-10-2008, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

walker owners help me out!

hey walker owners and other lawnsite members, next year i'm starting a crew that will be doing only high end properties. The lawns will be cut and bagged, trimmed and edged every week along with weeding every week. i will be useing my toro ztr and 36" wb to do my other 70 lawns and i will be buying another mower to do my 25 high end lawns. anyway whats the back ground now what is so good about walker mowers? i know there a bagging mower and the decks flip up to make it easy to change the blades and the pics i see of them it looks like it stripes and cuts well. what are some other pros and cons of the mowers, do the clippings ever jam up? how will it do in wet grass, also how do the controlls work? do you push them forward just like a normal ztr? also i hear the mowers are very monnurerval, they seem like there longer then a mid mount ztr so woun't they be less monnravable? any input on these mowers would be great.
thanks
alex
don't mind my bed spelling its late and its been a long day.
2013 7x20 sur-track open trailer
2010 exmark lazer "x" series 60" 34hp
2011 exmark lazer "x" series 60" 29hp
2013 exmark lazer "s" series 60" 27hp
2013 exmark turf tracer "s" series 52" 20hp
2011 wright stander RH 52" 19hp
1013 exmark commerical 30" wb
honda push mower
(4) weed wips shindiawa,redmax,echo
(2) stick edgers shindiawa,redmax
(3)redmax 7001
sthil br 340
pluger aerator

230 lawns
Old 10-10-2008, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I hear they are fragile, from a few LCO's. There a front mount deck mower so you can get up under stuff better.

I know they hold a hill a little better than a conventional Z.

I think there slower right?

They are from what I see and hear give a superb cut for those high manicured lawns that get bagged.

Down here it seems like their cut is nothing special on St. Augustine
Old 10-10-2008, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the only thing a mid mount is better on is wide open properties. ive had lazer zs ,scag and turf tracers and nothing cuts or bags as well as a walker. also on medium size 1/2 - 3/4 acre yards a good operator of a walker can cut a lawn with alot less trimming and blowing clippings and clumps faster than a midmount. Just my opininion . try one for a day , also try the navigator some guys like them too. At 1st it'll seem strange, by the end of the day youll probably buy that little badger. Good luck
Old 10-10-2008, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

you will not like the controlls for about the first hour or two. it is like a guy with an X-Box trying to play the same game with a ps2. works the same, but takes some gettin used to.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for the info guys keep the info coming so far i've learned alot. i'm contacting my walker distributer monday to try to get a demo set up before the end of next week. but please keep the info on these mowers coming thanks
honda push mower
(3)redmax 7001
sthil br 340
pluger aerator

230 lawns
Old 10-10-2008, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

they do clog up pretty bad in wet grass.. although i've heard the new ones with the bigger blower werent near as bad, but mine is the smaller blower.... much slower than a ztr...but nothing leaves a nicer cut than a walker... especially on the high end properties ...not even close.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I was using two Scag Tiger Cubs 48" velocity deck, and replaced the two Tiger cubs with one Walker MT 42" GHS, and their one of the best ZTR's on the market for residential or commercial use. The Walkers use a (FSC) speed control system, and IMO is way better than any conventional ZTR, the "jerky" motion we hear about is due to a novice operator, Their truly a "finger tip" steering mower, the right FSC lever only controls your forward speed just like cruise control, while the two levers control the left or right movements very refined steering, the Walker is the BMW of ZTR steering control. Going back, and forth between a convential ZTR vs the Walker, nothing is more: percise, exact, crisp, and can provide one fluid motion than a Walker Convential ZTR steering is unrefined period. The Walker FCS system results in fluid movements, less wasted time positioning the machine to mow
The GHS system is virtually uncloggable, from experience I have maintained a tight schedule even during a rain storm while maintaining a manicured cut in the wettest grass, no other ZTR can do this.
1 tractor 11decks: Another great options is the ability to interchange decks from a GHS deck to mulching to SD with removal of two pins, slide off the splined PTo shaft, and the process is reversed for install. Those that complain about the interchanging of the decks as "hard" are nothing but babies, come on it's not that frikin tough,takes 1 minute maybe.

Walker being fragile: this is just not the case, I listen to that BS for 6 years, and I finally purchased one 2 seasons ago, no mowing demo either. My only regret listening to those knuckle heads that talk BS on the Walkers for way to long. The Walker decks are NOT 7 gauge decks; however I have ran into many an object or ran over foreign objects that were steel,rocks,cement block, large bolts etc should have done some major damage to the deck/gearbox's/GHS system, ACCORDING to the Walker haters, only scratched paint, and some minor dents to date. The fact remains I use the Walker on high end residentials, gas stations, churchs, athletic fields, HOA, apartment complex's, section 8 housing, and it has held up to 100% of the crap those accounts could dish out. I disagree on their "fragile" state thats a myth, wrong, false.

Walker Compact size, While the Walker seems longer in size, it's compact size, internal GHS system, and trimming ability on both sides of a GHS deck. Makes the Walker highly valuable for maintaining highly landscaped properties, or any account you may have.

The Walker Myth it's SLOW: While it's true at only 6.5 mph buy all comparisons it's the turtle. Not the case, While the midmout ZTR has a faster ground speed that does not equal a manicured Walker cut. The Walkers compact size GHS system, out front, counter weighted GHS trimming decks, produce a manicured, high quality cut that does not require double cutting in the thickest grass wet or dry.

While my views on the Walker are not going to ring true with all, I can say from experience that mulching requires sheer brute HP to produce a manicured cut. I use the Walker on all our residential and commercial accounts, regardless of the grass type, terrain, or price of the account the Walker has saved us time period. I do have a second 60" SD deck for the Walker, plus a 60" 7-Iron deck to further increase our cutting swath, and speed in wide area's.

Last edited by nosparkplugs; 10-10-2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosparkplugs View Post
I was using two Scag Tiger Cubs 48" velocity deck, and replaced the two Tiger cubs with one Walker MT 42" GHS, and their one of the best ZTR's on the market for residential or commercial use. The Walkers use a (FSC) speed control system, and IMO is way better than any conventional ZTR, the "jerky" motion we hear about is due to a novice operator, Their truly a "finger tip" steering mower, the right FSC lever only controls your forward speed just like cruise control, while the two levers control the left or right movements very refined steering, the Walker is the BMW of ZTR steering control. Going back, and forth betweena convential ZTR vs the Walker, nothing is more: percise, exact, crisp, and can provide one fluid motion than a Walker. The Walker FCS system results in fluid movements, less wasted time positioning the machine to mow
The GHS system is virtually uncloggable, from experience I have maintained a tight schedule even during a rain storm while maintaining a manicured cut in the wettest grass, no other ZTR can do this.
1 tractor 11decks: Another great options is the ability to interchange decks from a GHS deck to mulching to SD with removal of two pins, slide off the splined PTo shaft, and the process is reversed for install. Those that complain about the interchanging of the decks as "hard" are nothing but babies, come on it's not that frikin tough,takes 1 minute maybe.

Walker being fragile: this is just not the case, I listen to that BS for 6 years, and I finally purchased one 2 seasons ago, no mowing demo either. My only regret listening to those knuckle heads that talk BS on the Walkers for way to long. The Walker decks are NOT 7 gauge decks; however I have ran into many an object or ran over foreign objects that were steel,rocks,cement block, large bolts etc should have done some major damage to the deck/gearbox's/GHS system, ACCORDING to the Walker haters, only scratched paint, and some minor dents to date. The fact remains I use the Walker on high end residentials, gas stations, churchs, athletic fields, HOA, apartment complex's, section 8 housing, and it has held up to 100% of the crap those accounts could dish out. I disagree on their "fragile" state thats a myth, wrong, false.

Walker Compact size, While the Walker seems longer in size, it's compact size, internal GHS system, and trimming ability on both sides of a GHS deck. Makes the Walker highly valuable for maintaining highly landscaped properties, or any account you may have.

The Walker Myth it's SLOW: While it's true at only 6.5 mph buy all comparisons it's the turtle. Not the case, While the midmout ZTR has a faster ground speed that does not equal a manicured Walker cut. The Walkers compact size GHS system, out front, counter weighted GHS trimming decks, produce a manicured, high quality cut that does not require double cutting in the thickest grass wet or dry.

While my views on the Walker are not going to ring true with all, I can say from experience that mulching requires sheer brute HP to produce a manicured cut. I use the Walker on all our residential and commercial accounts, regardless of the grass type, terrain, or price of the account the Walker has saved us time period. I do have a second 60" SD deck for the Walker, plus a 60" 7-Iron deck to further increase our cutting swath, and speed in wide area's.

wow thanks for the great review! this has helped alot
thanks
honda push mower
(3)redmax 7001
sthil br 340
pluger aerator

230 lawns
Old 10-10-2008, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i used a walker first, and now i have a navigator.

i have had poor luck in rain either way...:S

that last review was true for the walker and the navigator. the only thing that they will say is that the navigator is like 200 lbs heavier....no worse than a fat operator though, right?

you may want to drive both, one may toot your horn more than the other...and as always dealer support should be part of your decision.

good luck with your choice!

Nathan
Old 10-10-2008, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I ditto "nosparkplugs" post. I just purchased my first 42" Walker and love it beyond belief. I love the clean crisp look on my lawns. I used to cut every single lawn with a 21" walk behind just because I like the way a lawn looks when the grass is bagged; I tried all of my other mowers, (which I use on my open fields, trashy commercial accounts, etc) and nothing would come close. This has saved me time and allowed me to still have some energy at the end of the day. Another great thing is the way the deck pulls up the grass and then cuts it. I cut on a rainy day couple of days ago and the sidewalks looked clean, very clean for having just cut in the rain. So this saves you cleanup time exponentially. I do not know about other ztr's but my Walker came with an 88 page manual and I would say 1/3 of it is for maintenance, 1/3 for operation and the other 1/3 is for safety, introduction & blah, blah, blah...And besides, if someone does pick on a Walker, it usually means they are jealous...