Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2002, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Tow-Behind Dethatcher

How well do the dethatchers you tow behind a riding lawn mower work? Here is a URL to the type I am referring to:

http://www.brinly.com/products/detha...thatcher40.htm

I live in the Florida panhandle and I have a centipede lawn that is almost an acre big.

Last edited by castlebb; 02-08-2002 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

tow-behind dethatcher

castlebb,

Your post asking about how well the 40-inch Brinly tow-behind dethatcher works is now 4 years old, but I have the same question. Did you ever get an answer?

LarryF
Old 03-20-2006, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The one I bought from Sears last year looks about the same but a little taller, and it has a handle for raising it that you can reach from the seat of a tractor. It works okay. It tore up a bit lawn more than I wished, but the yard was in terrible condition when I started, and it was probably a bit too dry that day.

I don't know or I didn't look to see how much that one was. I think I paid about 65.00 at Sears for mine.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks fishinpa. The Brinly is about the same price at HomeDepot, but I don't know if the Brinly has the lifting handle, which sounds like a good idea. A couple more questions come to mind, however. I lifted one of the Brinly cartons while at HD, and it seemed very light. Did you have to weigh the dethatcher down with concrete blocks or whatever when you were dragging it? But what I'm really curious to know about is how this item compares with the dethatching ability of a power rake such as made by Bluebird, Classen, etc.? Have you had any experience with those you can compare the drag-behind with?
Old 03-20-2006, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had Sears and Agri-Fab tow behind dethatchers in the past. It doesnt matter what brand you go with....theyre all the same besides a few minor mod's. Majority are made by Agri-Fab, even John Deere dethatchers. I have a 60" Front mount dethatcher for my 425AWS. I love that thing....the front mount makes it so much easier because you have more directional control over it and you dont have to weigh it down. Just my 0.02..
2008 Chevy Express 3500 Van
2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Reg. Cab
07 Deere 737 (60" 7 IRON)
07 Deere 757 (60" 7 IRON)
07 Deere 757 (60" 7 IRON)
06 Deere 757 (60" 7 IRON)
06 Deere 757 (60" 7 IRON)
14 Deere Z950R (72" 7 IRON)
14 Deere 1025R (60" Autoconnect)
11 Deere 326D Skid Loader
07 Deere G15 (Commercial 36")
01 Deere 455 (60")
11 Haulmark 8.5x22 Enclosed
11 PJ 20' Equipment Trailer
Old 03-20-2006, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryF
Thanks fishinpa. The Brinly is about the same price at HomeDepot, but I don't know if the Brinly has the lifting handle, which sounds like a good idea. A couple more questions come to mind, however. I lifted one of the Brinly cartons while at HD, and it seemed very light. Did you have to weigh the dethatcher down with concrete blocks or whatever when you were dragging it? But what I'm really curious to know about is how this item compares with the dethatching ability of a power rake such as made by Bluebird, Classen, etc.? Have you had any experience with those you can compare the drag-behind with?
I did put a block or two on it and strapped it down tightly. I used a power rake the year before and don't think it necessarily did a "better" job, but I do remember it being alot more work and I remember the power rake actually worked better when you pull it backwards. It was easier to drag the power-rake debris stuff into a pile that way. (in reverse that is)

I just look at it as: for the 69.00 or whatever I can get 10 or 20 or 30 "rakes" out of it instead of 100.00 a pop for an afternoon with a power rake.

Be advised that if your yard is in bad shape you gonna get PILES of debris. I advise you mentally prepare to have several spots in the yard to drag to and clear the rake at. Then you just rake those piles onto a tarp and drag them to where-ever you going to burn, compost or can that stuff up to dispose of.

Also note if it's in REAL BAD shape as mine was, you going to expose alot of bare dirt spots and your be prone to more crabgrass than usual. This is one of the first steps in "making things right" as I call it though. Just plan to aerate and seed in the fall.

Good luck and feel free to PM me. I'm no pro (lco) just a homeowner "working it hard" and trying to learn from my mistakes and all the advice I've gotten around here.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks again fishinpa. That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

I did some more searching and found another manufacturer of tow-behind dethatchers. The name is JRCO, and their product looks pretty much like the Brinly, but it seems to be a bit more husky and a lot more expensive, about $420 plus shipping. But it seems to be targeted for commercial landscapers, so maybe that justifies charging 6 times as much for the product. To them, perhaps, but not to me. They also have a couple of dethatchers that mount in front of a tractor, and I have to admit that looks like a good idea. But I'll probably go with the Brinly or the Sears tow-behind. For awhile I had seriously considered power raking. However, a lot of comments made by others contributing to these forums suggest that power raking is not only more expensive and time-consuming, it's not necessarily even good for the lawn.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've looked at most of them and found I perfer the Sears model vs. the Agri-Fab. I really like the spring loaded tines as the final product is a bit more like the rental units. They are a bit more forgiving. I also liek the fact that every two spiked are tied together, not the who;e row of spikes. This allows the unit tu turn easier.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The Jrco tine rakes are commercial grade. I don't think those others are. The jrco has about twice the tines as the tow behinds.
The thing to remember using any tine rake is multiple paswses. If you really want to make a diference in the lawn go over it several times wiht the rake.

ONce is just for raking out somne leaves and sticks maybe but to make a dent in the thatch go in different directions multiple times.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Craftsman front mounted dethatcher:
Attached Images

'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower