Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2008, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Up Sizing or Down Sizing What are you plans?

With the uncertain flux in the market and the housing mess. How many of you guys are planning to upsize or downsize.

I know I'm going to get a ztr and proberly hire a part time helper for next year. But I'm going used equipment or making sure everything is paid off during the winter. I am also implementing a new plan.....

PAY AS YOU GO. no monthly billing

That will keep the cashflow flowing and get rid of the deadbeat customers
Reducing overhead.

What are your future plans.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am not changing size, but will need about 60 more acres next year since I will be full time mowing only. We mow 240 acres now, with a three person crew - me on a X595, and the other two on X495's, and to fill up a good 5-6 day week, we need more acres. The only reason it worked so well this year is that I had to spend 8:00 am to about 1:00 pm at the job I am retiring from.
With the ability to run from sunup to dusk every day will mean we need to find more acres.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

(South Florida) I plan on staying the same size. Good advice on paying down debt. Of coarse, I won't turn down any offers for bids if they are in my working area. I sub all tree work out. If I want to generate more cash flow I can start trimming my trees again.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Staying the same...I hope anyway!! I want to purchase a compact tractor and expand into other things, but I'll probably wait until there is a sign of economic improvement.

I had a chance to purchase a New Holland LS180 (2004) with 200 hours for $10,500 a few weeks ago. I'm already regretting not getting it, just wanted to keep as much money in savings as possible right now. Luckily everything listed below is paid for. I've tried to re-invest as much as possible into the business to pay everything off.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've been adding several accounts late in the year right now. Hope to have some more growth before the season is over. Looking to have a employee next season with hopefully some more growth. We'll see what happens!
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 10-11-2008, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to do some more direct target advertising this winter/ early Spring. Have to be careful though because our second child is due in mid-April (great timing huh). My first priority will be that child and family, so I don't want to load my plate too heavily because that is when I really start ramping up with clean-ups and aerations.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I plan on advertising heavily in my area and instill my name into peoples mind so that when spring comes around and they see their grass turning green they know who to call. I want to upsize to about 50-100 yards. I currently run 27.... don't laugh... I live in a small town of 5500. I have the equipment just not the yards...

"Making Thomasville and surrounding areas more beautiful one yard at a time!"
Old 10-12-2008, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShe8918 View Post
I plan on advertising heavily in my area and instill my name into peoples mind so that when spring comes around and they see their grass turning green they know who to call. I want to upsize to about 50-100 yards. I currently run 27.... don't laugh... I live in a small town of 5500. I have the equipment just not the yards...
My plans exactly !!!

If you own a business you should never be looking to down size. Businesses are supposed to grow. At what rate they grow is a different entity in its self but they must grow. I have already started on my marketing plan for next year and have about 70% of my marketing budget complete. I do more than just mow so I try to maximize ever dollar out of my customers. I will still bill out monthly because I don't feel like putting up with that accounting head ache every week. I am looking to add more resi yards next year . . . prolly another 20 to 30. Right now I have a city contract and an industrial contract that are grossing close to 2k a month but want to do 75k gross next year (my second year in business) and since lawn care is 42% of my dollars so far this year that means i need to increase my gross dollars on average to $2625.00 per month! i better get to hustling!!!!

Good luck to every one next year
Old 10-12-2008, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If all goes as planned we will be adding 2 guys and another truck. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, so who know. Still taking lawn accounts but going to market big for landscaping and pavers next season. Currently talking to a Real Estate agent about a property forsale to start building a shop this winter and stop running out of my garage.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Surprised you can find anybody that will pay as you go.....must be an older crowd of customers. .