Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2008, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pro-slide Vs. Stander

I'm having trouble deciding what the best 36" decision would be...

36" wright stander

36" toro walk behind (hydro, floating deck) with a pro-slide

the problem is i want a walk-behind so we can use it for hills when we can't use our ztr's...would a walk-behind with a pro-slide be as productive as a stander in back yards?
Old 10-12-2008, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

definately. Where the wright would be better is if there are a lot of paved areas. The pro-slide will go on paved areas, but it wears it out much quicker. I love the pro-slide, though, b/c whenever you 're not using it, it automatically tucks itself underneath the machine so you can walk whenever needed. I would think the toro would hold a hill better than the wright b/c you can easily get off and walk. Just be sure you get a big enough motor so it can pull you efficiently for years on end. I would prob. get the biggest motor that comes on it just for that reason. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 36" eXmark viking, dual hydro, sulky. Great mower, but I kick myself every time I see a Wright Stander on some trailer or lawn...THOSE THINGS ARE BAD A$$.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am fairly certain that any hill that can be mowed with a walk behind can also be mowed with a Stander. Somebody might prove me wrong but I have gone about 40 degrees with mine.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 10-12-2008, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know, as I don't nor have ever used a stander, but the issue with the pro-slide and the velkes are when going up a hill, they raise up-I think they make a weight kit for them to counter-act the front end, but can't speak for the stander.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 44" Toro w/ 15hp Kaw w/ a Proslide. It's a great mower and I love the stripes. On most hills of significace I have to step off and walk. The only downside is it takes up a lot of room on the trailer compared to what a stander would.

98 Toyota Tacoma
5X10 open utility trailer
05 Cub Cadet ZTR 50"
03 Toro Proline 44" WB
1 - Honda 21"
1 - Craftsman Straight Shaft Trimmer
1 - Husqvarna Sting Trimmer
1 - Echo Stick Edger
2 - Homelite Blowers
Old 10-13-2008, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I did not find a proslide could be used effectively on shallow rooted turf or wet ground with my TTHP in small areas as the turf would tear on the zero turns due to the added weight of the rider on the proslide. Wright would be a better choice in these areas IMO.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I HAVE A 48 TTHP WITH PROSLIDE. Now I want a Stander instead. It just doesnt cut the mustard for me. A stander would be faster speedwise and way easier on the hands and body.I wish I wasnt saddled with this TTHP but it was the poor mans solution to a mower for hills and small lots. It compliments my Exmark 66 well but a Wright or Toro stander would be the ticket.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As far as productivity, you are only bound by how fast the machines can go. I wouldn't expect that you would be able to mow with a stander too much faster than a walkbehind with proslide.

Obviously the walkbehind will be better on any steep hills, but don't think you are going to be able to use the proslide all the time on hills.

If you or your employees weigh a lot, you may have to put some weight on the front of that toro. The heavier the deck is (cough... cough... Scag...) the less problems that will give you.

If you don't have many hills, the stander will take up less space and be more efficient. If you need a walkbehind for some steep hills, go with that and then add the proslide for flexibility.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston9915 View Post
As far as productivity, you are only bound by how fast the machines can go. I wouldn't expect that you would be able to mow with a stander too much faster than a walkbehind with proslide.

Obviously the walkbehind will be better on any steep hills, but don't think you are going to be able to use the proslide all the time on hills.

If you or your employees weigh a lot, you may have to put some weight on the front of that toro. The heavier the deck is (cough... cough... Scag...) the less problems that will give you.

If you don't have many hills, the stander will take up less space and be more efficient. If you need a walkbehind for some steep hills, go with that and then add the proslide for flexibility.
that's pretty much how i feel...considering i am getting this machine mainly for backyards but also as a backup for hills when we can't use our big machines...and i don't care if we have to step off of the pro-slide to mow a hill, that's not a problem, that would just be lazy if u were bitching about that...we also don't have a wright dealer in town, it's only 25 minutes away but still, inconvenient...i think i'm gonna go with a toro 36" walk-behind, $5700 is kind of steep but then again it's one of the best machines on the market, thanks for the replies...