Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-13-2008, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Kawasaki FH680V 23hp Valve Adjustment

Hello all can anyone tell me how to set the valves on this 23hp Kawasaki i read that it needs to be done every 300hrs and this one has 1100 and i doubt its ever been done. I just bought this mower and it has a "tick" at the valve covers i just figure they may need adjusting. RestorRob if you see this do these adjust the same as the 24hp Briggs engine you just helped me with? Also does anyone have a diagram that shows where the carb and choke linkages hook up to and the springs? I had a spring come off and i belive ive got it in the wrong place. This is on a John deere 657 any help would be appriciated it! Thanks!
Old 10-13-2008, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here is the valve adjustment procedure;

If it's the larger governor spring here is that, Disregard the writing this was used in another thread.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 10-16-2008, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Rob i fixed the spring and its in the right position now and i think i adjusted the valves correct...... I first adjusted right side then started the engine ran TERRIBLE so i pulled the cover back off adjusted again it got better i have pulled the valve cover 6 or so times and it seems like the "tick" is gone but the engine just doesnt run as good as it did before. I dont have a tach but i know forsure at full throttle that its not running 3600rpm or mabie 2700 if that. So i may have other issues showing up. I checked the govner it operates like it should and i can unhook the throttle cable and move the linkage by hand and it tachs up and sounds great but i when the cable is hooked up it just doesnt seem to get there. I just dont understand. I did have this motor apart and i put everything back like it was but the linkage seems to be the issue...
Old 10-16-2008, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You really need to have a tach to set the RPM's properly;

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/gasoline.php

Here is the procedure for setting the high speed RPM's;

Cya

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!