Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-15-2008, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Who only runs WB's?

I was putting together a few numbers for the 2009 season. I was planning to buy a commercial Z and a used WB. I was planning on a Quick 32 for the WB. Then I got to thinking. I was going to buy a small sized Z in the 48" range. I put the prices together and figured I could buy a 44" Quick Dually and a 32" Quick for little less then the cost of a 48" ZTR alone. I then searched a little more detail looking for more reasons to run WB. Both WB would be 2/3 the weight of the rider itself which would save in towing fuel loss,trailer wheel bearing life, and about 650lbs less stress on transmission. I wouldnt need as much HP as the rider would need because of the weight difference, therefore it would be more fuel efficient also. I plan on 1/4-1/2 acre lots and it seems like this setup would be alot more cost effective and efficient. I am going to get my Quick 32" around Febuary. I will use it for a few months before I decide on getting the Dually. I sure hope BOP is all its hyped up to be because this could really set me off to a good start in this business.
Do any of you guys only run WB's? Do you ever ache for a rider?

Last edited by stevenf; 10-15-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I only run WBs with sulkies. I realize that a ZTR can be more productive, but the truth is that many of my lawns are on hills. I mow a lot of steep terrain, and most of my lawns are 1/4-1/2 acre lots. I think a WB is about as effective as anything on these lawns and cost is minimal. When equipped with a good sulky, a WB is a great machine.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 10-15-2008, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenf View Post
I was putting together a few numbers for the 2009 season. I was planning to buy a commercial Z and a used WB. I was planning on a Quick 32 for the WB. Then I got to thinking. I was going to buy a small sized Z in the 48" range. I put the prices together and figured I could buy a 44" Quick Dually and a 32" Quick for little less then the cost of a 48" ZTR alone. I then searched a little more detail looking for more reasons to run WB. Both WB would be 2/3 the weight of the rider itself which would save in towing fuel loss,trailer wheel bearing life, and about 650lbs less stress on transmission. I wouldnt need as much HP as the rider would need because of the weight difference, therefore it would be more fuel efficient also. I plan on 1/4-1/2 acre lots and it seems like this setup would be alot more cost effective and efficient. I am going to get my Quick 32" around Febuary. I will use it for a few months before I decide on getting the Dually. I sure hope BOP is all its hyped up to be because this could really set me off to a good start in this business.
Do any of you guys run on WB's? Do you ever ache for a rider?

The fuel efficiency doesn't really work out as you may expect. A 48 inch ztr will be cutting MUCH more grass in an hour of run time than a quick 44. The quicks are definitely cost effective, though, and have a great reputation on this site (and great support). You should demo a rider and a larger (44 etc.) walk behind on your properties before you buy so you can get an idea of what production gains you may be able to achieve on your route.

Good luck.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

oh man those ZTRs on hill man over board get the picture?
Ryobi 4 in 1 bush clipper, edger, weed Trimmer, Tree Groomer
44" TORO Pro line Mower
24" MTD Yard Machine Briggs Engine
06 REDMAX EB 7 sereis Blower
Home Lite Blower
Toro Snow Blower

Old 10-15-2008, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC99 View Post
The fuel efficiency doesn't really work out as you may expect. A 48 inch ztr will be cutting MUCH more grass in an hour of run time than a quick 44. The quicks are definitely cost effective, though, and have a great reputation on this site (and great support). You should demo a rider and a larger (44 etc.) walk behind on your properties before you buy so you can get an idea of what production gains you may be able to achieve on your route.

Good luck.
Before I dive head first into a company that I know little about from personal experience, I plan to get the Quick 32 in late January-early febuary. If it is as good a machine as any other belt drive mower, I will get the 44" also.
Right now I use a homeowner 44" Z. On my 1/4-1/2 acre neighborhood yards, I only cut for about 12-15 minutes maximum. That is with a Z that is 5mph. The Quick is described at 7.2mph. even if that is off a bit, it will still be more effective then my current rider and sure as hell leave a better cut and be more reliable, I hope...
Also, I have 4 out of 10 small accounts that have a small gate so im expecting about 40% of future accounts will have small gates. The 32 would blow away my 21" mower.
I eventually want to get to the point in this business where I am running solo on 50 weekly accounts. At all minumum prices, this would pull in around $45,000.00 a year. I want to achieve this by cutting 4 mornings a week, taking out around 13 accounts a day at 25 minutes per $30.00 labor. This will allow me to have 4 afternoons a week for weather/equipment delays. After that I plan to higher employees and target more commercial accounts to fill out the schedual more.
Also, I was thinking a proslide for the 44" would be the best for fatigue. It wouldnt require any twisting of the hips, back or knees.
Two of these machines just sounds like a homerun. I could even higher employees and have two mowers running on the same accounts if they are fairly large. Thats equals a 76" deck in productivity.
Why would a 15-16hp WB not be more fuel efficient then a 20hp rider other then speed. Most of my accounts are so small, by the time a ZTR would reach 10mph, I would be turning around again or turning around an object.

Last edited by stevenf; 10-15-2008 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your WB idea is a valid one.
1/4 - 1/2 acre lots do not even warrant a Z. Please, please don't burn out on small town lots with a big Z - you'll get so much better cut with a nice WB like Better's products.

Go with the two WB's. I use a WB alone and I do it mainly for quality but cost is a factor too.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 10-15-2008, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Im really leaning toward this more and more every minute. It wouldnt break the bank and would still be VERY productive for a solo and even a two-three man crew. Someone is letting me look over there Quick this weekend so I may buy the 32" soon so a few leaf cleanups can offset the cost.
So who doesnt have a Z and wishes they did?

Last edited by stevenf; 10-15-2008 at 01:42 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You need at least an acre lot before the Z starts to come out ahead.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your plan sounds like a homerun as you said but its more like a first base hit. The Proslide,IMHO, is over rated. Standers are the way to go. Doing 50 per week solo with a WB is gonna get mighty old quick.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

check this thing out i seen one in use the guy i talked with said they get out of control it wont stop he got off the ztr and put his seat down and pushed the handle bars behind the mower and used it as a wb on the hilll side
http://www.convertiblemower.com/