Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-14-2008, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

PA Law will limit Landscape/Home Improvements Contractors!

Reference:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=249473

Email the Governor and tell him to VETO this! Then contact your Representatives
Old 10-14-2008, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Isn't this what most other state's have?
Mike
Old 10-14-2008, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Even West By God Virginia has contractor licensing requirements!

I'm all for it.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I live 2 miles from Pa. and do less than 1% of my 14 years of business there. This area is rural and does not do srw's and pavers due to most people have 10 plus acres and can grade out a yard instead of building a wall. 3 weeks ago i hydro-seeded a yard there first job in about 5 years. I always asked about licenses and everyone said you didn't need one. If they don't have this they should, our Md. MHIC is a protection for the h/o and they need this. I can't believe Pa. is behind in times i know they always like to collect tax money now they can get this. I happen to own 12 acres in Pa. and pay a school tax, my kid is 24 and never seen the inside of a Pa. school.
Mike
Old 10-15-2008, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I look at this law as a benefit to PA contractors. First off, I have no problem with the payment provisions, they seem fair and equitable and in our current contract/payment scheme we would be in compliance. We are 8 miles from the Maryland border. For me to take work in MD. I have to get a MD Home Improvement Contractors License at my expense and meet all the criteria for that license in terms of insurance, etc. and not be guranteed any work. Yet a MD contractor can come into PA and not have those expenses to cover in his bids. If he doesn't get the job, he's out nothing. If I get my MHIC license and don't get the job, I'm out several hundred bucks. There are subdivisions around here where the entire development was built with MD labor and materials. They even hauled the ready mix and sod in from MD. Is that fair to the PA contractors? I see it as leveling the playing field. Is it perfect I doubt it, no bill ever is. Is it a start in the right direction, I believe so.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

MD contractors that are in the Western MD vicinity are usually licensed in VA and WV as well.

So gettin a license for PA is no biggie.

The biggest thing with MD contractors workin in PA is that Ryan Homes and Dan Ryan Builders have moved into southern PA and they both have brought all their MD subs with them. Gettysburg is an up and comin area and I know of several MD guys that are eyein up the Gettysburg market.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's not the licensing part, I agree with it.

It's the fact that they are limiting how much we can collect up front, none in the middle, and the rest at the end. It's that they require out contracts to state how much we require down, but then 15 pages later tell us that we can only take 1/3rd.

License us, that's fine. There is no "educational" requirements, just pay your tribute and Viola! you're licensed.

But don't limit our money intake.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I dont see anywhere in the bill Aj that states you can only get a downpayment and your final payment. i maybe mistaken but it does not prevent you from collecting progressive payments once you start the job.