Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-17-2008, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Member

ASV rc

Was looking into getting a ASV rc30 for the business. I looked into the 50 and decided that it was to big for my needs, but really like the 30. Does anyone have one on here or know someone that does. Any feedback would be great.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

This machine is awesome.

It is much much more machine than any of the walk behinds. They are good for scoop and carry type applications but that is about it. Can't grade or excavate very well with a walk behind.

The RC30 is not much larger but is much more machine. Being that you ride in it rather than stand on the back you can really hog material and do some real work.

Pluses: Will go anywhere, great tracktive effort. Small, easy to transport. Great for finish grading, even with a simple bucket. smooth riding, comfortable to operate, good size cab for a little guy. Has overall decent power.

lows: Low lift height, low lift capacity, seems to require lots of maintenance. One of ours is an ex-rental unit, so take that for what it's worth...

It is one of the guys favorites. Wouldn't trade for anything.

It's a bit small to be a standalone machine in our operation, but it complements a bigger skid steer very nicely.

I would highly highly reccomend one.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply man thats what I was looking for. I plan on picking a 2002 up with only 425 original hours for 10,500$ which I think sounds pretty good.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdunn View Post
thanks for the reply man thats what I was looking for. I plan on picking a 2002 up with only 425 original hours for 10,500$ which I think sounds pretty good.
Make sure to look at the tracks closely before you buy it. At 425 hours they sould be ok, though.

Cummins isn't spelled with a g!!!!!
Old 10-18-2008, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've rented them a couple of times and was pretty much underwhelmed. It pushed OK but even with 30 hp it wouldn't push much better than the 17 hp tractor I had at the time, and the breakout force of the bucket seemed pretty weak. It also would not lift high enough to load my pickup over the side rails. I have not run a walk behind skid steer so I couldn't make a comparison there.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't own one, but I've rented them a lot in the past and definitely hope to get one within the next year as well. I find that they are unbeatable machines. For their size, nothing compares. A tractor does not even come close to what this machine can do it terms of moving dirt, digging patios, accuracy in grading, traction, etc, etc, etc. I love it, I dont think theirs anything that compares thats 48" wide. I own a NH LS125, have operated lots of dingos, mt's, and boxers, and the RC30 can definitely out perform them all.
The only cons I can think of are, low lift height (will definitely lift into back of a pickup truck though..), higher maintenance costs (mainly due to the tracks), and not as easy to get in and out of (importance depends on what machine is specifically used for)
Old 10-19-2008, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been impressed with the track life so far.

One of our units has about 1900 hours on the original set. Have some nicks and scars and battle wounds, and you can tell there is some uneven areas where the tracks ride on the idlers. However, Overall they are still at about 60+ percent.

At 1200 hours or so we rebuilt many of the idler wheels as the bearings had dirt in them and were failing- the wheels were literally falling off. Replaced the worst of the wheels and new bearings and seals in the rest. I have contemplated putting grease fittings in the steel bearing covers but I think it might lead to other problems. Oh well.

Starter has gone out, alternator, wiring harness has failed in a few spots due to rubbing. Bucket pins are sloppy and there are no replaceable bushings. Kind of weak. Ignition switch failed, a few hydraulic hoses, some hard hydraulic lines, the transmission/pump has fallen off the motor a few times as the bolts continuously back themselves out. I wired the bolts last time and it might work. Some other random small leaks and failed o-rings. I think the rear main seal on the motor is failing.

They are not built to the same standard of quality as larger skids/excavators, but absolutely nothing else would replace it. Will be picking up a newer one sometime shortly to replace this one. Its previous life as a rental was very very hard on it.

That being said, bought it for $10 K or so... could probably still sell it for 7 or 8. Has done easily a 100 K worth of work.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't really like an ASV Rc-30 for the majority of my work. I have a dingo 425 and a cat 248. I use the bigger skid for the grading and such, and the dingo for the sensative areas, small areas to prep, augering, boring drives, and trenching in residential irrigation systems. If you are doing residential, I think a dingo would better suit you. And if you are going to be on and off the machine alot and want good visiblity, the dingo is a better choice. A larger company in town uses rc30s for all of their commerical trenching and some of their harley raking... that makes more sense to me than just residential like I am. The outside track of an rc30 will probably never wear out... it is those inside lugs you have to keep an eye on... make sure the tension is right etc.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have about 1100 hours on my tracks and they are still in excellent shape. Tracks are typically not you biggest repair issue under 1300 hours. Drive motors and roller wheel bearings are the big issues and you will likely have some sort of issue every 500 hours depending on use.
Awesome machine and would buy over a Dingo any day. Way more capable and productive/ I like Dingos, they have a niche in the business just like an rc-30.
I am buying new next year providing economy recovers a bit.