Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-17-2008, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Transplanting

I have to remove a hedge of pittisporium and a few camellias that have a 2-3" caliber to be installed later in a new location after a construction project is complete. There is little room (they will have to be dug by hand) and they are planted in the sand. I've had problems in the future keeping the soil together in a ball when digging plants in sand up. Any Tips for this?? They will be temporarily planted offsite for about a month and then transplanted near the original site.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If I were in your situation, I would make a pile of dirt or mulch and "hill" them in until you need them. Basically all your doing is temporarily planting them until needed.

Your results may vary, like you said, there isn't going to be much of a root ball when you dig them out.

Might want to think about saturating the soil around the shrubs extremely good the day before you dig them. Hopefully the water will help hold the sand against the roots better.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, That is a good suggestion about hilling them up between plantings. I think I will do that. I will probadly try soaking the area the day before as well, to see if I can get the sand to bind better to the roots.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

sand makes it difficult to get a good ball on stuff when doing it by hand. if you can get access to even a smaller spade (i've seen them to go on units like my sk650) and you B&B them you'll do better even with a 18"-22" ball vs hand digging in my opinion. of course you could hire me and I'll bring my spade truck down for a long weekend at the beach and we can move them in groups of 3-5
Old 10-18-2008, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the offer Brandon. But I think that might be a little pricey (bringing you down for the weekend).

Actually I though about PM you this question. Since you are semi close to this area. None of the local equipment rental stores have spades attachments for the mini loaders. I'm probadly going to hand dig them and if I can save 50% of them, that will be good.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

have you tried ditchwitch? I know their store in mcleinsville has one I'd bet their raleigh store wood too. don't know if they rent, but you could always demo. you might find it useful to have around.