Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-20-2008, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Question Help with Paver Patio Pricing

Friends,

I got a call today from a customer, long story short, she hired a company to complete a 20W x 30L, 21 inch raised patio with steps from the house to patio 3, steps from patio to lawn 2, steps from walkway to patio 2 with a 80 foot x 4 foot wide walkway. She had to fire the contractor last Friday due to the fact that him and his workers were caught drinking onsite and using narcotics by local police and arrested... All of the material is onsite, pavers, wall, caps, bullnose, and the 40 tons of crushed need to finish the job. So far the job has been excavated the trench has been backfilled to proper height with crushed and tamped frabic is down and the first 3-5 inches are in place and tamped on patio site. I would say about 40-45 tons of crushed are already in the ground and tamped. The walkway needs to be excavated and completed also. My question is...how the heck do I give her a price??? I am just pricing labor I would guess, everything is there that my guys would need to finish the job. Thanks in advance for any help...

Ray
Old 10-20-2008, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you have any pictures?

How is the area to get to?

Every job will vary in price on labor.

How many patios have you built?
Old 10-20-2008, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I do not have any pics yet, as I was at the site at about 5 this afternoon and the light was not good. The area is open on both sides of the house about 18 feet from house to the neighbors fence. Like I said all the material is already onsite in the backyard. We have built 8 patios so far in about 1.5 years. 5 raised 3 level.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelandscaping View Post

My question is...how the heck do I give her a price??? I am just pricing labor I would guess, everything is there that my guys would need to finish the job. Thanks in advance for any help...

Ray
NEVER GUESS. Are you absolutely 100% sure all the material is on site???
Old 11-01-2008, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You should probably go through your normal bidding process...start from the beginning (materials, labor....everything). From there I would recommend you take off 25% - 35% off of your total estimate or just the WHOLESALE value of the materials onsite, and give the client that price. There is no way that you're not going to have to purchase some materials for the project. It's really hard to know what has actually been done by the other contractor....so you're going to need a little extra room to make changes.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Charge time AND materials. Are the edge restraint, spikes, sand, Poly sand there? Are you sure the other contractor order the right materials and the right amount?

You will need to check to make sure the stone IS tamped(after all these guys were caught drinking on the job).

New Horizons Land Management
1996 F-250 crew cab short bed FOR SALE
16' landscape trailer FOR SALE
14' enclosed trailer for hardscapes
6.5' x 12' 12,000 lbs dump trailer
60" Kubota ZD21 FOR SALE
60" JD 997
36" Stander for sale
Sthil Power Tools FOR SALE
Weber 7,000 lb force revs. plate tamp
Old 11-02-2008, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like a fun job to walk into.

go with time and materials but give them a ball park on the cost.

Unless you know they got a firm number from another contractor.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would pass on the job. It sounds like a mess. Taking over someone else's projects most likely never turn out anything less than a nightmare.

The facts in which the other contractor was released puts zero confidence into anything they did was properly done.

My bid would include tear-out of anything the previous loser did, and the start of a new project with all of your own materials. The homeowner can get the existing material off-site or tell the other contractor to get their crap outta there.

There is no way you can provide any type of warranty unless you excavate to soil and start over, and if the customer agrees to not having a warranty, you have put yourself in a bad position if something does fail. More than likely the full story would never surface and YOU would be the one blamed for shoddy work.

There must be some other jobs you could be doing instead.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

time and materials plus $500.00 for the headaches you will run into. Make sure the druggies don't expect to come back and work! and make sure they have all of "their" equipment off the property so there are no arguments. Good luck!
Old 11-09-2008, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Make sure you have an exception that any materials will be extra. Also thoroughly examine the other contractors work to make sure it meets your standards. I would also put an exception in the contract for that, and if you have to start all over it would be billed extra. Just cover your butt. As far as pricing, I would bid it as a whole and then just subtract your material costs that you had in your price.