Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-20-2008, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks as if something was poured or spreayed on the steps beside the bricks that are messed up to me.. Unless all the steps look that way.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

shovelracer,
You said something in your first post that got my attention. You said you were at the site and looked everything over before he said there was a problem. He needs to know this.
I would of said " I was just at your house on Friday making sure everything was ok and everything looked great still." Then after seeing it again. " Did someone do some pressure washing over the weekend and some painting? This damage wasn't here on Friday and everything is still damp. Do you and I need to call whoever did this about paying for damages?
This way you are not directly pointing the finger at him but he still knows that you know what happened. Depending on how good a customer he is you can then work out who is paying for what.

Good Luck!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here's an update

Well the owner swears he didnt pressure wash it, but it happened after I saw it friday and before he saw it sunday. Saturday he had a painter there to do the wood around the door. He wasnt home when they where there so he wasnt sure what they did. I threw some leftover poly in the gaps just to get him through till spring while we figure out what we are going to do about a water leak he has.

Heres the story behind that:

House was built by 2 different builders during a bankruptcy switch. We know the foundation drain did not daylight and was only covered with 6" crushed 7' below the surface. Last year we dug up everything to the left of the landing down to the footing and properly fixed the issue in that area of the house. There was also water coming in below the door, but he didnt want to rip anything up at the time. We found lots of leaks in the veneer and wood joints as well as the negative pitch of the landing pad. We dropped some pavers in the landing as previously described and he had another company address the front of the house. It has been much better, but he still gets water in the basement around the door. We know that it is coming in somewhere above the door and travelling down the tyvek till about the height you see.

Odds are we will have the job of digging out what you see to attempt to get this issue solved. Assume that it was finished as you see it. What needs to be addressed. I see the exposed block as one. Possible drainage install as two. Lack of flashing at the pad surface. Etc. I probably wont do the work myself but we are kind of the property managers if you will since the owners are not real handy and travel a lot.

Any helpful advice would be good.

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2008, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Since he wants you to do more work then you should just fix it for free, but add what you would have charged to fix it on to the next project you do for him. That's if he isn't honest if you ask him directy.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

ITS A BIG POOL?
how is the front grade to the house? is it graded away from the house?
are the down spouts cloged in some way? did they use the black flex pipe to drain it may have a crush in it and washout backing up into house?
is there a huge window over the front door?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes there is at least 1 large window over the door. Its a full height foyer maybe 30+ feet on the exterior. All drainage on the left side of the landing was redone last year. No problems there other than the gutter size occasionally being limited. Problems occur not during heavy rains like they used to to the left. instead it happens when the wind blows the rain into the wall above the door. Pitch for the house is OK could be better, but it works. Water is getting in at the sill plate height which is where the tyvek terminates in the pic. Only in the area under the landing which is several feet above ground level. The pool is filled with the usual garbage and construction debris alone with some QP on the top. I have a 5-6" pad on top of that and the pavers. Everything is sealed real well so it isnt getting in at the landing pad surface.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

that looks and sounds like it needs foundation sealer and probably lead flashing at the door sill, as far as the pavers that looks like a pressure washer to me maybe the contractor spilled paint and tried to wire brush it of along with the pressure washer i would sit the HO down tell him everything its gonna take to fix if he wants it done right and that he needs to be prepared to pay for it good luck
Old 10-28-2008, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yep Im not worried about the sand. He seems to be ready to rip out the landing in the spring anyways. I dont have a lot of experience with buried wood like this so the question is. Should the tyvek be cut at the landing level with flashing under to direct any water out above the landing box, then new tyvek or similar barrier behind the flashing going down over the wood. The foundation block should also be tarred and since we would have most of it dug at that point I would think it should be filled with clean and directed to a perforated pipe that daylights out the side. What else should be considered?

Thanks
Old 10-28-2008, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a question. Was this original problem just about a little poly sand? I mean unless im missing something, why not just throw a little sand in there and be done with it? I have customers all the time who play with light timers or irrigation timers, then call me when its not working... " I have no idea what happened to the timer", I just come and fix the problem.. I dont try to argue with them about who did it ( I know you didnt argue with this customer, but you were asking what you should do?)
Old 10-28-2008, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

No. This house has leaked since the day it was built. Both builders went bust so warranty is bust too. There were several leaks in the basement. Last year we fixed the biggest one as described above. We also determined that the landing had water issues. There were so many different areas it could have come from that he tried to save money and do all easy exterior surface repairs against any recommendation. Well the problem is internal and all the "patch" work needs to be taken out anyways.

It wasnt a thought till he tried to check for leaks on Sunday and noticed the sand. I threw about $0.50 of poly in there and told him we would redo it in the spring at an undetermined cost. He told me not to worry about it cause we need to solve the water problem the right way. That brings me here with a question and an old photo he gave me. Its a classic case of being cheap costs double.