Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-11-2002, 04:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Anyone has weld homemade Trailor?

Hi, I am new to site site. I look at this site like "wow". New site to me. Seem This site best everI find.

Anyway hmm.. Anyone have weld homemake trailor? I plan to order plan kit with design plan. Any suggestion? I am plan built is 6 x 12.

Weld is my hobby.

Tony
Old 02-11-2002, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i havent done it before but no people that have, they enjoyd it and its nice to see the final result, also nice to be able to make it exactly how u want it.
Old 02-11-2002, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Myself and 75 on this site and plowsite.com have made trailers. The nice part is that you can make one exactly how you want to. I have been able to specifically make trailers for a lot less then it would have cost to have a special one made.

Why then do I buy trailers as well? It is because premade trailers are easier to buy. A trailer is not easy to make. Although you could make it in you yard with a good welder, I think it would be difficult. The key is getting everythin square. sometimes weld have to be done underneath and at odd angle. Having a good flat shop space, supports and an pverhead lift make the job easier and better in the end. Sure it can be done without these items but it may not turn out as well or take longer. In the end I think it comes down to how much time and effort you are willing to spend to get the results of your time and how you value that time. Good Luck if you go this route.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

CT18 is right, you can build your own but it is a fair amount of work to do it right. Having the plan kit you mention is a good first step if you haven't built a trailer before.

You also mention that welding is a hobby for you, so you already have a good understanding of the metal fab part. Good thing about a 6x12 is that you should be able to slug it around without special lifting tackle - important so you can do the bulk of the welding in the flat position.

If you're looking for a trailer NOW building your own may not be the best way to go, however if you are willing to put the time and effort into doing it right the project will be a worthwhile one. Best of luck with the project and keep us posted on progress!
Old 02-19-2002, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have built a few trailers with my father as it is sort of a hobby for him. We have built them from scratch as well as modified existing ones. I feel the most important part is finding the correct axle, springs, and getting the axle in the correct location for proper tounge weight. The rest is making a simpe frame and being creative. You can just about look at a picture and see how to do it.

We are getting ready to build a trailer or I should say modify one. We are going to complete it in less than a weekend. The trailer frame was salvaged from an old camper. We took the camper top off and the frame measures 6X18. I plan to shorten the frame to 6X12 which will require relocating the axle. Then we will add on a ramp gate with steel mesh floor, install 2' high sides made from square steel tubing, and finsish it with lights.

We hauled the beat up camper out of a guys yard for free, spent $150.00 on steel, and $50.00 on lights. A 6X12 landscaping trailer for $200.00 not bad.

I suggest looking around for something similar unless you like the work and want to drag the project on for awhile?

Good Luck!
Old 11-08-2003, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I build trailers in the winter. Nothing to it. Yes, these are quality trailers. I can usually have a 4x8 built and ready to sell in 7 to 10 days. Just kinda came easy to me. I'll try to post a pic of one later.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here you go......:blob4:
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2004, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice looking work ... be built our own Dump box last winter and It came out very nice.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a friend of mine build this trailer from the ground up.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2004, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is still in the works. I ran it out today to see how it would handle. It was origanly a camper like what jimbo talked about. I added lots of heavy angle and used cee perlin for crossmembers. If I could start over I would have built it from scatch with rectagular tubing. It will be getting 4' ex. metal sides and a 5' ramp in the back and on the side, as well as a sealed (instead of ex. metal) box at the front.
Attached Images