Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-21-2008, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Michigan one ton dump owners

got a question for us small truck owners of michigan. what is the legal load limit of a f-350 dump truck? im trying to find some info on this , so im throwing the question to you all. im looking for axle load limits.

thanks
Old 10-23-2008, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

no one knows anything about this? i was hoping someone did.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

whatever the gvw on the door says.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 10-25-2008, 04:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Contact D&L Lawncare on here. He knows everything there is to know about this stuff.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Contact D&L Lawncare on here. He knows everything there is to know about this stuff.
thanks ill pm him
Old 10-25-2008, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

read the door panel that will give youre total gvw.than go to a place that has a scale they might charge couple bucks get youre weigh than minus that from the total gvw.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yea, this is not just a Michigan thing.

Do as JLawncare says- go find a scale, get weighed empty, with a full tank of fuel, and anything you'd normaly have in the truck (including you!) and that'll give you your tare weight. Subtract that from the vehicle's GVWR (found on the door frame) and that's how much you can throw in the bed!

Expect to be disapointed too.... 350/3500 dumps have crap payloads after all is said and done with the dump body and accessories. You might be able to put in a couple yards of topsoil LEGALLY before you're maxed out..... then there's trailer tounge weight, etc...

Always better to find a 450 or a 550.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

a guy i know got stopped by local cop and ticketed for over weight, cop went by tire ratings, i never heard of that before. i know the gvw of the truck is **** compared to the empty weight, mine weighs 10000 with me in it, i think the gvw is like 12500, you cant haul one yard of topsoil and stay under 12500. i just never heard of going off of tire rating. thanks for all the reply's.
His truck is a 2wd and sits low to ground anyway so his flaps were draggin that doesnt help the matter either. i have a extra heavy suspension on mine i can scale 4 ton of load and mine sits level. i might be over weight but you cant tell by looking at it.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

GVWR and LEGAL weights are two totally different things. Ill start with the MI weight law. On your standard 2 axle dump (steer and rear axle). your legal axle weights are going to be 11,700 or 15,400 depending on tire size on front and 18,000 on the rear. You will never be able to put that much on the front so dont worry about that. MI is a per axle state. Your overall weight does not matter. It does matter IF/WHEN a ticket is issued because the law allows for a "misload" fine but it has nothing to do with whats allowed per axle. Now if you have smaller tires than your standard truck tires you COULD exceed the weight law on how much is allowed per tire but this is RARE and I wont even get into it because it will confuse you.

GVWR is what the manufacture sayd the truck is designed to haul. This depends on what brakes, leaf springs etc are on the truck. Lok inside the door. example= GVWR 17,000lbs empty weight of truck 8500. your truck is DESIGNED to haul 8500 pounds. Thats total load, you, tools, gas, etc.

IT IS NOT AGAINST THE LAW IN MI TO EXCEED YOUR GVWR. but if you were to get in a bad accident and I were to come inspect your truck I would list your actual overall weight and your GVWR. Then a lawyer who is out for the money sees you have exeeded what the GVWR is will win in court EVERY TIME. because that truck was not designed to be on the road hauling what you had in it and IF it was at or below the GVWR you would have been able to avoid the accident. EVEN IF IT WAS THE OTHER PERSONS FAULT you will be found at fault at least 50% if not more in front of the judge at a civil case.

So the law says you would be legal. But if/when you exeed that GVWR you open your company up to a big libiliaty. If I lost you the answer to your original weight question is in the second and third sentence.

Official DOT Truck Consulting
Are you DOT ready?