Register free!

Old 01-13-2014, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Best ads

Take look at the websites and any brochures, mailers or flyers you can get your hands on.
Who has the best advertising and promotion?

What was wrong with those you didn't like?

Why were some aspects good?

I thought Scotts website was good...but...I am still looking at other sites. And...I saw several Scotts guys in videos spraying without wearing gloves, and no safety glasses or sunglasses. Not sure about rubber boots. Label usually requires.
Are they just careless and sloppy about safety? Or...did they do the ads on purpose that way so as to not scare customers?
Old 01-13-2014, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I do mailers and have offered a few specials over the years ....

Free soil test
1st app xx% off
And others.

My goal is to give people a reason to call and many do. Funny thing us many don't ask about the specials.

So this year I'm trying ... " protect your lawn from crabgrass before march xx."
Old 01-13-2014, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I saw several Scotts guys in videos spraying without wearing gloves, and no safety glasses or sunglasses. Not sure about rubber boots. Label usually requires.
Are they just careless and sloppy about safety? Or...did they do the ads on purpose that way so as to not scare customers?
In those big companies it looks like the ads and photos are directed by their marketing or communications departments. They use actors or stand-ins, not real techs. They often don't consult with the operations people, so they don't know the right techniques or safety equipment to use. They want to go with whatever they think looks good.

It's no wonder the guys in the ads and commercials are always dressed in clean, pressed uniforms. We all know the reality is that the uniform doesn't stay pressed past the first couple of stops and that the uniform is dirty and covered in sweat before lunchtime. I don't think they would sell many accounts showing the real uniform under real working conditions
Old 01-23-2014, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

subscribing
Old 01-24-2014, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is one of my favorites locally. What do you think?
http://www.mytenderlawncare.com/Services/Lawncare.aspx
Old 01-25-2014, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Take look at the websites and any brochures, mailers or flyers you can get your hands on.
Who has the best advertising and promotion?

What was wrong with those you didn't like?

Why were some aspects good?

I thought Scotts website was good...but...I am still looking at other sites. And...I saw several Scotts guys in videos spraying without wearing gloves, and no safety glasses or sunglasses. Not sure about rubber boots. Label usually requires.
So you want Scotts guys dressed up like astronauts? I think this might be bad regarding public perception.

We thought about this before filming our TV ads, cuz nobody is going to fine you for spraying water. just sayin'
Old 01-25-2014, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was impressed with your website, Larry. Sweet.

How about some other descriptions like long-lasting, coated nitrogen, controlled-release, rich in potassium(for deep strong roots)...

And there is no cute dog, nor cute children with handsome husband and foxy wife who is ecstatic over her thick healthy grass.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
So you want Scotts guys dressed up like astronauts? I think this might be bad regarding public perception.

We thought about this before filming our TV ads, cuz nobody is going to fine you for spraying water. just sayin'
Sure, nobody's going to fine you for just spraying water, but I don't think that's the point. These ads set the expectation for the public, your customers, and your employees -- whether overtly or subconsciously.

You don't want the environmentally concerned stay-at-home mom to cancel your service because your guy servicing the lawn had on the proper PPE, but she thought this stuff was safe enough not to need PPE.

Something I see on this site all the time (and even in the first post of this thread) is guys in the industry pointing out when others aren't following the rules. It makes your company look bad when pictures get out (even ads) of your guys not using the right PPE. It also alerts regulators to watch you more closely.

Doing things like this also impacts your employees. Everything you do sets a tone and culture. Eve shooting an ad or video without PPE tells your employees that PPE isn't important and that it's not meant for safety -- it's only something you wear when you see the inspector coming.