Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-01-2008, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
My ONLY complaint with my rancher is after an hour of cutting i feel it's weight on my arms/back.It almost always starts with 7pulls..but plastic carb??looks very much metallic to me!You say "very cheap constuction" but again where..what chain saw doesn't have plastic on sides/top??
I did not say that all saws had plastic carbs just the Husky has used them in some of there handheld tools.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
I did not say that all saws had plastic carbs just the Husky has used them in some of there handheld tools.
I have yet to see such plastic carburation items.Do you mean
plastic screws on the throttle/mix settings,or actual plastic slides,needles,jets?
Old 12-02-2008, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I will take a picture and post it .
Old 12-02-2008, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
..what chain saw doesn't have plastic on sides/top??
post link to a saw that has..metal..:0..on the sides then!I think you'll be back in the 70's if it is metal sides on a saw!
The newer saws are so much lighter and more powerful than those of yesteryear. So what if there's some plastic in them. I'll gladly take the higher performance for the tradeoff of needing to take a little better care of it.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHS View Post
The newer saws are so much lighter and more powerful than those of yesteryear. So what if there's some plastic in them. I'll gladly take the higher performance for the tradeoff of needing to take a little better care of it.
The new saws are lighter, but there sure not as powerful. EPA regs have taken a lot of power away from the new saws. I put my 066 up against a new MS660 and there was no match. It's a shame what the gov't did to small engines.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 12-04-2008, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can't really speak for Stihl saws as I haven't used them as much. I like my ms200T better than my 020T and I think it's way better than an 020AV. Those are all good saws but the newest one is the best of the group overall for me.

With the Husky saws, I have a 2101xp and from my experience a 395xp will run circles around it, not to mention how much better the 3120xp is. I have an old trusty 266xp yet the newer 372xp is a full pound lighter, over half a horse more power, faster chain speed, and it's much more comfortable to use because of better vibration dampening. I used a 288xp for a long time, it was a great saw but I'll take a 385xp any day for the same reasons.

I'm not in the tree business any more so all I have are my old trusty saws that run great and always get the job done but to me the Husky saws have gotten better. Sure they're not perfect but overall they're easier and more comfortable to use.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quit wasting time over a measly $400 piece of equipment. Just buy a damn saw (Any reputable brand ; Stihl, Echo, Husky, ect...) and get to work! Just keep it well maintained and it will last forever.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There's a lot of truth in that. I like what I like but a well maintained saw with a sharp chain is far more important to getting some work done than the brand of saw.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green King View Post
You should also take a look at Dolmar!
picked up a 401 earlier this yr, it has serve me well, great saw.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnbutch View Post
We have a Husky 142 that runs circles around a stihl ms290 period!!!!

Thats funny, I have a 142 Husky and its ... well, a pos.

1/ Starter is pretty useless--- all plastic and have take it apart all the time to clean the chips out of it and re-lube.

2/ worst thing is the bar oiler--- won't allow anything but really thin oil thru--- I use atf or nothing and then it pisses out all over. Any straight or 50/50 diluted oil just doesn't come thru.

3/ complete lack of power unless you're cutting down " pine.

4/ cheap choke know/pull. Probably std for most saws now but I'd appreciate something with a little more oomph

5/ whiny noise--- due to the small engine I suppose but without muffs its like listening to your mother in-law on a rant.

The good news is that it starts easy ---2 pulls or so.

Its light as hell so you can use it anywhere.

It was cheap so when I chuck it next year I won't mind.

I believe there are better choices and for not a lot more money. Its barely a good starter saw for homeowners cutting 2" sapplings.