Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-23-2008, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Price on S205

I got a quote from my dealer today for a new S205 loaded except for High flow for $40,900 which I'm sure sounds high but remember these are Canadian prices. Here's the thing though, with our Canadian dollar plummeting in value, the salesman was telling me the price is going to be going up again right away. And while it is true, our dollars dropped significantly in the last few weeks (about 80 cents or so compared to the US dollar) does this really affect the price they can sell it to me for that much? I asked him how much it would be if I waited a while yet and he thought another $5,000 or so.

My question is this, does any of this make sense, or is the salesman just trying to make a quick sale?
Old 10-23-2008, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If the machine is on the ground or built already it shouldn't matter what the dollar is doing, right?
Old 10-24-2008, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If the machine is sitting there and ready for sale then ask how long its been on the yard. If its been sitting there for a while then it should not matter. If it has been sitting there for a while, and the sky in Canada is really falling, then call the bluff and wait. Once the sky is falling you could get it for $5,000 less than the quote today. I'd wait 2-3 weeks and act like you are looking at other machines-see where that brings the price.

There is always the possibility that the machine is not really owned by the dealer but still by the manufacturer and the dealers must purchase when they've actually sold it. That would mean that prevailing exchange rates would apply at the time of sale to someone like you. I know this sounds confusing but it can and does happen. The yo-yo yoing of the canadian dollar would affect the sale price here.

If they import on as needed or for "just in time" delivery then the fluctuating canadian dollar does matter here too.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Grab it while you can, that damn dollar can be a b*tch sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 10-24-2008, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The s205 is a real nice machine but from what i heard there going up in price
Old 10-24-2008, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Member

it depends what your definition of awhile is.....end of year price is likely solid...start of 2009, coin toss if those incentives are there, bobcat is dropping there pants to move 2008 inventory....they are stopping manufacturing for 6 weeks to help dealers move out 2008 inventory...bobcat hardly ever does that.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I signed the papers for the s205 at $39,000 Canadian and took advantage of their 0% financing for 50 months. Apparently they do have to order the machine from the USA and it should be here in a week or so. Can hardly wait, should be like a Cadillac compared to the 753 I've been running the last few years.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

that o% is sweet they stoped by my shop to sell me but i passed for now
Old 10-25-2008, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoh View Post
Well, I signed the papers for the s205 at $39,000 Canadian and took advantage of their 0% financing for 50 months. Apparently they do have to order the machine from the USA and it should be here in a week or so. Can hardly wait, should be like a Cadillac compared to the 753 I've been running the last few years.
You will love the s205 it has some power for a small frame machine i have a 2005 and a 2006 there very versatile as well i have the inverted rims on one of them to get it down to 5' wide for those tight areas
Old 10-25-2008, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoh View Post
Now you have to wait those agonizing days out!!

My wait time was July 4 -16 to get my T190.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96