Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2002, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Harley Rake

Which is better harley or a rockhound ?
Old 02-11-2002, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to Lawn site. Do a search , there are lots of threads on this.
Old 02-16-2002, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do the search, then buy a harley rake.
Old 02-17-2002, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

SLS,
Why do you you like the the harley over the others?
thanks
Old 02-17-2002, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a rockhound for years. Recently rented and then bought a harley after using it. Still use the rockhound more for new lawns but for areas where existing growth is a problem the harley rake works nice.
Old 02-17-2002, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Short answer:The wide variety of uses.

Long answer: We have found uses for the harley rake that amaze me. A couple of weeks ago, my brother mixed some clean sand with a huge pile of asphalt millings. He then spread the pile and pulverized the aggregate with the harley rake, easily leveling and spreading the material while kicking out any big chunks. We also spread a few hundred tons of 3/4 inch stone that was taken off of a job. The harley rake made it easy to pick out any larger rocks, trash, etc. These are examples of why I like it, and they probably don't even relate to its most common use for spreading and leveling soil. I only tried a rockhound once, but did not like it; it may work for you. I can't knock they other products, although I do not think some are as versatile as the harley rake. The harley rake we have is 6', mounted to a Case 1840 skidsteer. We are on our second drum which has carbide teeth. The machine works both forward and backward, with or without the box sides, and in all kinds of conditions. On the job where the stone came out, we are using the harley rake to spread unscreened loam on site. This is a major cost savings. The harley rake works well enough for us to reclaim edges of properties by ripping out small stumps and roots. It works great to spread screened loam or to mix screened material into an existing surface without making a mess. We have great luck using the harley rake to clean up after backhoe or excavator work. It fluffs up tire tracks left after traffic goes over lawn areas. The harley rake can easily be used to feather a new lawn area into an existing lawn. On large areas of new lawn install, we can go to work after a dozer rough grades. The harley rake can scarify an area and pop out any potatoes or other debris. Once an area is loosened up, we angle the blade and can quickly clean an area by having one or two hand rakers (3' aluminum rakes) finish off the area as the rake makes its next pass. You never have to stop to dump and if the row gets too big, just push it off into a pile and harley rake over your tire tracks.

I can go on, but this is just what comes to mind. This definitely ranks high on our list of things we could not do without!