Originally Posted by 44DCNF View Post
How about a gingko?
thinking the same thing but either a male or a fruit less variety

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 10-28-2008, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Paper Bark Maples that I have seen get up to 50- 100 feet. Would be way to big for that area. U Of I spent 40,000 on transplanting a paper-bark maple that was in the way of construction. Supposedly it is one of the oldest and largest paper-bark maples in the US.

http://www.life.uiuc.edu/plantbio/di...eraceae/20.htm

The Styrax looks to get up to 40 feet also, judging by some of the info I've seen on-line. Looks to be an awesome tree, and I plan on using it somewhere else in the future. I never even knew it existed.

I think I'm now going with a Autumn Brilliance Service-Berry. I think the size and shape is exactly what I'm looking for, and it is an under-used tree in this area and it will get me the results I want.

Thanks again, this thread turned out to be good education on ornamental trees.
I have never seen one 30 feet let alone 40. I purchased one 5 foot strax for an install in 1992 and today it is only 14 feet. It is one of the slowest growing trees. By the time it gets 30 feet the client and I will be long gone.

Landscapes are very hard to plan for over 12 years. We are already replacing trees at commercial sites that we planted 10 years ago.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not too familiar with Paperbark Maples much over 30' either. Great choice on the 'Autumn Brilliance' Serviceberry. They are one of my favorites. Are clumps available in your area?
Old 10-30-2008, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, we have some clumping varieties, or hedge/shrub like varieties in our area too. I'm looking towards a tree form for this area in the landscaping. I think I'll be able to come back in every year to achieve the shape I'm looking for.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Alot of your options are nice especially redbud & serviceberry.
But I think you shouldn't be too quick to dismiss the 1st one you brought up, the mimosa.
They're not as "weedy" as you'd expect... this far north!

Man! And you talk about a magnet for hummingbirds when they start to bloom!!

I've had numerous specimens in our own landscape for several years now. Not ONCE have I had to pull invading suckers or saplings away from ajacent areas!
Believe it or not...we have one mimosa that grows 2' away from our Bryant heat pump /AC, and serves as a extremely efficient "cooling umbrella" to keep the sun off the unit during the HOT summer afternoons!
It just takes careful foresight in pruning to make this kind of effort pay off!

If you're concered about the height of Albizia julibrissin, just make sure it's pruned correctly going-in, and show the customer "the basics" if you're not intending to service this tree as far as maintanance.

The fallen leaves are no big deal. They mulch or filter into the grass well.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Crepe Myrtle??? many different colors/sizes
Old 11-04-2008, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think a mimosa is a bit too dirty for a rock bed install. They seed like crazy, and they drop 3 times a year. I have one on my own property... they spring up like weeds.... this one is in back of the house, and I get seedlings in the front!

I like the idea of a weeping cherry.... and if you can do apps, most fruit trees can bring you yearly income with a fruit inhibitor spraying every year.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So, you guys will like this one.

My customer went to the nursery to scope out some trees.

I didn't go with the service berry, the nurseryman showed me the Autumn Brilliance growing over a patio, and I seen how bad the berries were, and we also deduced that it shouldn't be planted in as much sun as it would have received in the rock bed.

What was picked out, a Red-Jewel Crab apple. (I think it was a red jewel). It has a smaller cherry like fruit that is extremely hard and stays on the tree for most of the winter.

I really didn't want a crab, (way too common around here) but the customer trumped me, I was running out of options unless I special ordered something.

I will say, it's a good shape, fruits aren't messy in any way, and by god, if I get any Japanese Beetles on it, I'm ripping it out and throwing it through the door of my supplier. (he assured me, this variety doesn't attract them)

Old 11-04-2008, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmowerman View Post
Crepe Myrtle??? many different colors/sizes
Unfortunately, not hardy around here.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
What was picked out, a Red-Jewel Crab apple. (I think it was a red jewel). It has a smaller cherry like fruit that is extremely hard and stays on the tree for most of the winter.

I really didn't want a crab, (way too common around here) but the customer trumped me, I was running out of options unless I special ordered something.

I will say, it's a good shape, fruits aren't messy in any way, and by god, if I get any Japanese Beetles on it, I'm ripping it out and throwing it through the door of my supplier. (he assured me, this variety doesn't attract them)
Not surprised at all...especially if the tree was in full fruit.
Homeowners are suckers for that.

Be sure to teach the homeowner how to prune it properly as to help reduce the likelyhood of future powdery mildew problems; as this can become a serious problem sometimes with Red Jewells, particularly in somewhat poorly ventilated "boxed-in" conditions like it looks like you have in your photo.