Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-14-2013, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kinda of crazy idea

I bought a Lesco 48" hydro walk behind for my house (not an LCO). Currently I have it up on this forum to trade for a stander or ZTR because I am not really a fan of the pistol grips. I really like the way it cuts and the reduced weight of the machine.

I have used it for a few hours and can seem to get the hang of straight stripes and turning. I know I will get better, but since I wont be using it every day, this may take some time.

Then I got kind of a goofy idea. Could I change the controls to zero turn type? When I had my previous stander, it took no time at all until I was profficient with the sticks.

Bobcat makes a Z control that looks like it would fit just like my pistol grips handles do. I would have to figure out the linkage to the hydros.

Has anyone on here ever converted a pistol grip hydro to anything else (z controls, tbar, mind control, etc)?
Old 11-14-2013, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would like to be the first to officially wish you a LOT of luck.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 11-14-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Why not sell the Lesco and buy a Bobcat z-control? I think that would be MUCH easier than trying to convert the Lesco to z-controls.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm actually trying to sell or trade it now. I have anthrax here on LS. I have see. A have seen a few threads talking about converting pistol to tbar but I think those are belt drives only. I just wanted to see if for a couple hundred bucks I could convert it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2013, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well...

I recently bought a 48" Scag because I have an ailing 48" Toro and I was going to either swap decks or back ends or something was going to fit, you know, like that control swap you're thinking? Heck I know guys can weld and I can cut through some steel, paint, you know, I couldn't see how it wouldn't work until the moment of truth...

Turns out EACH and every manufacturer has minor but definite differences between them, you see, just for example the spacing between the bolts would be 16 inches on one machine and dang near 18 on the other... But you can't see just looking at it, and the space difference is just enough to where I can't make it fit reasonably even with spacers, unfortunately...

As for swapping the controls that's really not happening.
Yeah no, t-bars to pistol grips is like making pluto out of a sun
The whole technology is different, T-bars PUSH into the belts whereas Grips RELEASE tension (but the brakes work the same so you try and turn one around without the other, it just doesn't work).

And I can't guarantee this is going to be the case between every two parts coming from separate mower manufacturers, but I can tell you I got real tired of being completely on my own there, I mean you're out on a limb and can't nobody help you, so I gave it up.

Well, kind of...
Mostly!

But I'm telling you, it's a bit of a rough trek, that one.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a welder and some spare time you can build yourself a mower. All you need is purchase the Z controls.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know it's a crazy idea but I just wanted to see if anyone had ever tried it. I got a price on the upper bobcat assembly today and it's just not even close to cost effective. 99.99% chance this would never happen but I thought I would throw it out there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

And yeah, I'm going to keep practicing the pistols this weekend even though I don't really need to mow. I enjoy it. Might just find that I really like them once and if I get the hang of them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2013, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

take a few pictures of the handles of you mower
Old 11-15-2013, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Will do. I'll post some tonight
Posted via Mobile Device