Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Sponsor

Just an opinion

All I know of is a cord of wood. A cord of firewood is 128 cubic feet of wood most commonly stacked in a pile 4 feet wide by 4 feet high by 8 feet long.
I have never heard of anyone around here being able to sell firewood professionally any other way than a cord. At times I see piles of wood for a price and that is another matter between the buyer and seller. I sell firewood by the cord....a minimum of 128 cubic feet... period.....All it takes is a call to Department of Weights and Measures...when they get involved it has to be a cord of wood if a professional is involved or fines get levied. 26 years and have not 1 complaint....Ken
Old 10-30-2008, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken gustafson View Post
All I know of is a cord of wood. A cord of firewood is 128 cubic feet of wood most commonly stacked in a pile 4 feet wide by 4 feet high by 8 feet long.
I have never heard of anyone around here being able to sell firewood professionally any other way than a cord. At times I see piles of wood for a price and that is another matter between the buyer and seller. I sell firewood by the cord....a minimum of 128 cubic feet... period.....All it takes is a call to Department of Weights and Measures...when they get involved it has to be a cord of wood if a professional is involved or fines get levied. 26 years and have not 1 complaint....Ken
Thats your local market. No dept. of weights or measures around here is going to tell anyone of our local firewood suppliers they can no longer sell by face cord. I've never heard of anyone in this area sell by cord, all facecord. I just looked, to reassure myself I am right, in the local newspaper, 9 ads for firewood for sale- every one of them $XXX per face cord (or FC)
Old 10-31-2008, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Once again I'm with Matt. I've been in the business for quite a while now and have never seen anyone sell retail firewood for anything other than a face cord (4' tall x 8' long x 16-18" deep). Here a 128 cu. ft. pile is considered a pulp cord. Typically it is only the pulp haulers that sell in this quantity.

Funny how different parts of the country have a different perspective on things.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Around here a 4x4x8 cord is $350 for hardwood mix delivered. No one advertises for a face cord. Some suppliers will sell 1/2 cord.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 11-04-2008, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

dumb question... where can I get the logs to cut/split/sell??? Do I just call a sawmill? What should we expect to pay for logs? We have chainsaws/splitters/cheap labor/space-- we just need the "raw materials". We're in east central Wisconsin (Oshkosh/Fond Du Lac/Fox Valley).
Old 11-08-2008, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here same as Matt, all by the FC. Matt there only 3 FC in a cord thought (4'/ 16"). It ranges here from 50 to 100 per FC.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

$200.00 per cord......$85.00 per face cord...delivered not stacked.....stacking is an extra $30.00 on up depending on how far we gotta haul it
1997 ford f250 with 7.5 meyer
tons of lawn equipment to handle any job
Old 11-09-2008, 05:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Around here they sell it by the Rick. I never heard that term until I moved here. It's a pretty small quanitity, but I'm not sure how it compares to a cord. The price for a "rick" is usually around $45.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I found the definition of a rick. It goes for $45 if you pick it up yourself.

rick
a traditional unit of volume for firewood. A rick represents a stack of split firewood 4 feet high and 8 feet long, the logs being of a standard length, usually 16 inches. This is equivalent to 1/3 cord or 1.208 steres. However, because the size of a rick has been manipulated by vendors, it is illegal to sell firewood by the rick in several U.S. states. A rick is sometimes called a face cord or tier. The name of the unit comes from a old Norse word for a stack of wood.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

We get $125.00 a cord here its all mixed hardwood. I would actually like to get into wood more in the winter months currently we sell around 100 cord per year. I would like to start and move more we have everything we need to produce more volume and have suppliers that would be willing to haul us more wood in, we just need someone or someplace to haul it to.