Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2002, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Estimate this job (2 tiered wall)

About to fax over a proposal for a (2) tier retaining wall for a client, and I wanted to see if my figure is in the ball park with the rest of your figures before i send it... I realize that many variable come into play that you cannot see on the job-sites, but I am just looking to compare numbers before I shock this guy with my number... note: We have all nec. equipment (bobcats, mini-ex) etc. There will be no renting of anything, or sub out anything.

1. 1st wall = 160 ft. by approx. 5 ft. height.
2. 2nd wall = 80 ft. by approx 5 ft. height.
3. Material to be used = Techo-bloc -CRETA
4. Misc. items: remove (18-20) 15' small white pine trees/stumps.
5. Misc. extra machine work = 8-10 hrs extra digging.
6. Re-topsoil damaged lawn areas = approx. 6 yards.

i think i covered all the basics... love to see if my price is in the same range as you's....
Old 02-12-2002, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Just a few questions to better understand the scope of the job. Is there a stair well being installed for access to upper area behind the tiers? Do you need to do any soil stabilization with geogrid? How is the access for machinery? does drainage work need to be done( besides the usual behind the wall stuff)? Are you going to charge the client for the split pallet price?

Without this info and going on a general wall job with techo blocks I would probably price this job at around $55,000.00 depending on what you pay for techo blocks since they are very expensive up by me ( around $450-$500 per pallet)

Chris
Creative Concepts
Old 02-12-2002, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Creative Concept...

To answer a few of your questions:

1. No stairs to be installed...
2. No need for soil stabilization...
3. Very accessible (we will be able to get our Ex. + bobcat anywhere)
4. No additional drainage work nec.
5. i am not understanding this question? explain more??

- ur estimate is right on with mine.. Seems like a lot $55,000??? for a retaining wall I am thinking as i sit here... but he wants Techo-bloc which is really expensive, the wall is huge, and there is a ton of work.
Old 02-12-2002, 09:54 PM
Lawnsite Addict

I have to question you on your building a two tier retaining wall with out renforcement. The rotational forces are much greater on a two tiered system than on a single wall.

We wouldn't build a retaining wall here over 4' high with out grid, and your building one 10' high with out grid??

I hope you have the wall desiged by a PE and he is letting you get away with it.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Paul...

i realize your concerns... and have thought it over and will be installing geogird on both systems to be safe. I figured with it being 5' we could probably get away with no grid... but its not worth it.. for a few hundred extra.. it should be done.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:20 PM
Lawnsite Addict

The cost of the grid is so cheap

Bryan most people don't understand wall building, they think that 2 walls both under 4' or 5' the forces that work on them are minor, but tiered walls really are harder to build right than single walls. In the classes I teach explaining to landscapers that tiering is a harder build sometimes goes over their heads. You really have two walls that can rotate at the toe, the higher wall places forces at 45o to the bottom wall.

Now for pricing your wall, here walls run on averages from $24 to $35 per sq ft. So with out seeing your layout and not knowing how far apart the walls are I'll stick with the average here of $28 per sq ft. so figure $33K to $36K for the job.

Being it's only 1200 sq ft wall and you have access to the top and bottom of it plus room for storage of material and have little on no spoil removel. Also I'm figureing that your soils are good and you don't have problems with ground water or surface water.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What Paul said.

And $25-35K.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help guys...

thanks for the quote... I am actually sending him a proposal for $31,500 for the Creta block ( I took a little off the price due to the fact that its so easy to work around the area). Should I break that down into materials and labor...???

Materials = X dollars
Labor = X dollar

I just want the guy to realize that the stone he picked is really expensive... what u think?
Old 02-12-2002, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

PAPS

I'm NJ and my figure comes in at $44,500.00 $35.00 sq ft, geogrid, and extras you mentioned.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Landman...

Well.. i am going to give him a lower price because I think there will be a lot of future work at this site too. The site is so easy to work at for one, Also, the 1200 sq. ft is a probably slightly high estimate... the walls will taper down at the ends.. so that sq. ft is probably more around 900-1000. I have ran these numbers over and over and I feel that my 31,500 number is pretty good.