Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-28-2008, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How would a ressecion or slow down effect...

sealing / sealcoating...

Maybe the old timers could better answer this question.

What are the effects of a slow down on this business?
Old 10-29-2008, 06:40 AM
LawnSite Member

hmm

i dont think it will. at least around me. i think the slump in the market has only made me more busy. people are more likely to take care of somthing that they know will cost alot to replace. i noticed that i was sealing driveways that were trashed but the owners wanted to hold them together a bit longer. so for me i did better this year then last.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree mostly, because "Maintenance companies" usually do better during these times. I have a few strip malls that need to cut back on capital expenses, so they plan to seal/fix rather then re-pave for 4-5 years. This is always good news for us. The only thing is, that some places will be closing up, and a empty building or house is still a no sale. I guess we all will be watching to see how bad things get. I too noticed many homeowners deciding to seal, rather then replace, due also to the new high cost of hot mix. Overall I should be able to maintain, if not meet my 7% planned growth, as I live in a low manufacturing area, and more high tech, so we haven't seen as much cut back, as other areas. ( knock wood )
Old 12-11-2008, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Member

next years going to be a different ballgame fellas. i wouldnt go out and by that yacht just yet. in theory, everything above makes sense, but my bet is people will be watching what they spend next year. needs and wants. driveway sealcoating is a "want" mortgage payments are "needs".
Old 12-13-2008, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Unhappy

In the past what was said was true and for some may be again (protect by sealing/patching rather than re-pave)

But this will be (already is) a full-blown depression and when people are having trouble making their car or mortgage payments or property manager's rent goes down (many people don't realize that like in a shopping center the "rent" includes a % of sales-slower sales =less rent=lower maintenance budgets) and thousands of good-paying jobs are going away (and they won't be back)

Honestly (and I hate it because it directly affects me) I will surprised if this isn't one of; if the not the worst year in the history of sealing etc. I think it will only be good for things like infrared repair which can be done for less money and in some cases must be done to avoid liability issues.

Sorry to sound so bleak but I don't listen to all the "talking heads" that "tell you what to think about the news"--listen to the news...10,000 layoffs here, 20,000 layoffs there--almost every day.... GM closes Saturn & Pontiac already which will have a trickle down... here where I live the largest employer in town gave 2 week "unpaid" vacations for Thanksgiving and is doing 3 weeks for Christmas and the people who work there are getting VERY worried... Listen to the news, it's already hurting restaurants and fast-food, the quickest to go of "disposable income".

Those who are the strongest and fastest to adapt and best in their sales/marketing will be the ones who do OK. They will find the customers who DO have money to spend and adapt their sales/marketing to get them to spend it on "smart maintenance" like sealcoating... especially the high end stuff like what we and a couple of other companies offer that lasts years & years instead of one or 2.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think any home/property maintenaince is going to be good. This is where they will spend any additional money they have. If you can do handyman work, incorporate into your business model. This is where the money will be spent. I agree, the seal coating will do well, as it is much cheaper than new paving. Instead of remodeling the home, they will have it painted and spruced up. Finding someone to do the little jobs is very difficult for the homeowner as no one wants to be bothered with them. Be the one that wants to be bothered and make the money they want to spend. Even the smallest and simplest jobs there are, there is a demand for. The senior who needs help changing the smoke detector batteries or high ceiling lights, has no ladder or is too old/frail, do it for them. There is a lot of money to be made while you are already at a property if the customer knows you will do these things for them.

This I know for a fact because this is what I do. I do Lawns, Snow, Caretaking and anything in between. I have re-caulked more tubs than I can count, changed mor light bulbs and smoke detector batteris than you could imagine, fixed more leaky faucets and have refinished doors, windows and patio furniture than you could ever imagine.

Home and property maintenace is where the money will be spent. They may not go out and dine like they did before, but they will not allow the maintenance of the property be ignored, They will have the money needed from the other luxuries they cut back on.

All of this may not be what the seal coating business needs, but this is for all of the businesses on here, particularly the landscaping and especially the mowing business.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if anyone on here des this or not, but here it is good money and only 2 that I know of do this here. This is treating cedar shake shingles, not with the fire ******ant, but with an oil coating. This gets done about every 3 years here and one person can do 2 roofs in one day. It gives the operator a clientel following as well. This supposidly adds about 5 years to the life of the shake roof. A lot of homeowners I have talked to that have had this done, agree that they would rather pay $2k every couple years rather than $10k or more for a new roof, even with the sour economy like it is.