Register free!

Old 10-29-2008, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen's Lawn Care View Post
We use bagged mulch all the time and never have had any problems. This is the first time I have ever heard using bagged mulch is bad.
Next time you use bagged material, look closely at the bag. There has been a few times that customers have a couple of bags to throw down, and you can see spots of mold, ect. Saying that, they didn't have any problems, but it was suspect non-the-less.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it's a pathogen aren't you concerned about finding out what it is? No samples to the lab? If a pathogen is that virulent your whole landscape is toast. Replacing the mulch isn't going to help because the soil and everything else would be infested.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know....that A/C shot sure looks like some type of chemical burn to me. No mulch anywhere around it. Looks like either the homeowner or lawn guy got lazy and didn't want to trim around things. My guess is that it was windy that day and you got drift.

The square spot of dead grass is no doubt from a stack of bagged mulch.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 10-31-2008, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
I don't know....that A/C shot sure looks like some type of chemical burn to me. No mulch anywhere around it. Looks like either the homeowner or lawn guy got lazy and didn't want to trim around things. My guess is that it was windy that day and you got drift.

The square spot of dead grass is no doubt from a stack of bagged mulch.

Around the air-conditioner, that area was close to the driveway where she stacked the mulch to begin with.

Without my books in front of me, I deducted it was root-rot. (not sure the technical name right this second. All symptoms were exact to the situation. As soon as I sprayed a fungacide, the bleeding stopped and within a week everything stopped dieing, and growing again. She got through the rest of the season without any more problems and everything grew nicely this year.

Normally, I would have pointed to chemical burn, but I'm 100% positive that it wasn't. It's hard to beleive that a pathogen could do soo much damage, but it did. Like I said before, nothing looked to have chemical burn by any means, such as curling leaves, a "fried" look to the green foliage, just sudden death.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHS View Post
If it's a pathogen aren't you concerned about finding out what it is? No samples to the lab? If a pathogen is that virulent your whole landscape is toast. Replacing the mulch isn't going to help because the soil and everything else would be infested.
I took all measures to get the health of the landscape back in order.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

TLS has a good point. No mulch around the AC unit--yet hosta and grass looks badly injured--except directly behind the AC unit--perhaps where they forgot to spray--or couldn't reach. The square pattern in the first photo is interesting. Square pattern is usually man-made. Rectangular, except with a weed and a little grass in the center. How come? Could be "Toxic mulch syndrome": http://bygl.osu.edu/bygl0011.html
About the odor--did the mulch smell like pickles? Vinegar? Formic acid? Classic signs of new, but not properly aerated or turned (anerobic) mulch. Did the bags have air holes? What was the mulch like--obviously new? Chipped brush? Chipped pallets? Shredded bark?
Old 10-31-2008, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
TLS has a good point. No mulch around the AC unit--yet hosta and grass looks badly injured--except directly behind the AC unit--perhaps where they forgot to spray--or couldn't reach. The square pattern in the first photo is interesting. Square pattern is usually man-made. Rectangular, except with a weed and a little grass in the center. How come? Could be "Toxic mulch syndrome": http://bygl.osu.edu/bygl0011.html
About the odor--did the mulch smell like pickles? Vinegar? Formic acid? Classic signs of new, but not properly aerated or turned (anerobic) mulch. Did the bags have air holes? What was the mulch like--obviously new? Chipped brush? Chipped pallets? Shredded bark?
The Mulch isn't what smelled, it was the smell of rot from the roots. It smelled liked a garbage can sitting in the sun, it made me want to throw up, and I have a strong stomach. In one of the pics, you can see the stems of hostas that pulled right out of the ground with no effort, and the slime on the base the base of the stem was gross.

You can see the mulch in one pic, just chipped generic mulch, bags had no air holes, and rarely do I see that.

I don't know what else to tell you guys to convince everyone that it was a pathogen in the mulch. I'll admit, I was as skeptical as you guys about the whether it was the use of chemicals or not. This lady is very particular and informed about gardening, so I took her word.

You could literally see exactly where she stacked the mulch by the AC unit, and how she spread from area to area.

I too was surprised how it spread even without having mulch down in some areas, the conditions had to of been exactly perfect for it to spread from bed to bed, and even kill off the grass.

Like I said, it took no more than 48 hours after spraying the fungicide to help stop the progression of the pathogen, and the smell of rotting material started to go away.

I will say, this situation had to be one in a million, literally. The conditions had to be exactly perfect for all that to happen.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I never use bagged mulch, but it makes sense that it would encourage fungus growth. I would be curious what the manufacture dates on the bags was?

The mulch looks like crap mulch anyway.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARGOS View Post
I never use bagged mulch, but it makes sense that it would encourage fungus growth. I would be curious what the manufacture dates on the bags was?

The mulch looks like crap mulch anyway.

It's funny you mentioned that. I had her see if she had anymore bags laying around and unfortunatly she didn't.

The only thing I could think of, if it came from Wal-Mart, then it could have been an early spring shipment that sat around until July, (Breeding Fungus the whole time).

One thing I didn't note about some of the spreading too, was that she watered her beds heavily 4 days after dealing with the mulch, right before she went on vacation. So conditions were ripe. (It might have rained that week also)

Water droplets could of easily transferred spores around the beds. (sooty mold was also noted at the site)

Last edited by White Gardens; 11-03-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
The only thing I could think of, if it came from Wal-Mart, then it could have been an early spring shipment that sat around until July, (Breeding Fungus the whole time).

One thing I didn't note about some of the spreading too, was that she watered her beds heavily 4 days after dealing with the mulch, right before she went on vacation. So conditions were ripe.
Ever have bagged lettuce in the fridge go bad? Could you imagine with mulch. I know that lettuce was able to be bagged AFTER special packaging was developed. I doubt that special packaging is used on mulch.

Watering and the heat of July would create quite a humid environment for fungus to develop.