Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-30-2008, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Stop Listening to the news !

I am done with watching the doom and gloom. We just closed our 10th brand new client this year, old customers are adding on, and I have more appointments today and tomorrow. This represents double the new clients we have closed before Nov. 1,. and new revenue, which are add-ons to old and new customer sales, is about 50% higher than ever before. The doom and gloom of the news is either just not true on Christmas Lights, or we have finally reached a point where Our business here is growing without too much additional advertising, and we are bucking the trends.

We sent a jumbo postcard a few weeks ago, and we are still getting calls on that. I am sending another round tonight. Send postcards now or it will be too late to let folks know you are doing lights. The cards they get on Thanksgiving need to be the 2nd or 3rd card they get, not the 1st. I really want all you guys who are thinking about or already do lights to be successful this year.

Go Team !
Old 10-30-2008, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for that upbeat message David we can really use those in this day and time. Fortunately.Fortunately I have been tied up with landscape lighting for the past week and haven't really pushed the holiday lighting yet. I plan on sending fliers to all current customers, advertising in local landscape supply shops, and retail shops. I would like to start with 8 to 10 customers this year and "learn the ropes" . My thoughts anyway.
"LIGHTING for LIFE OUTDOORS"
Member A.O.L.P.
FL. EY12000225
Old 10-30-2008, 09:33 AM
Sponsor

We are also ahead this year. I have 4 new deals closed and one add on, and a bunch of up coming appointments... retail has been good as well.

I will say that I have noticed that our new clients are more expensive jobs. 3 are over $1850. I think this is a combo of better target marketing and the fact the high end still have moeny to spend..
Old 10-30-2008, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Im not as worried about the national new as I am about the three new competitors that just popped up in my area.

Already blowing prices out of the water 1/2 our price if not cheaper. Hanging lights by the hour, ridiculous.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Sponsor

Only three low ball, houry..etc.. I wish I had only three around here!

They will only scoop up the lower end jobs because they buy the lights at wally world, HD and charge low wadges. The jobs they get, you most likely weren't going to get anyway.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Ignore the doom and gloom. The news is stupid. I have had a more successful year this year than the last three.

Ever hear of the following phrases?

You are what you eat.

Trash in trash out.

Well

Doom and gloom in, doom and gloom out = FAILURE

Positive, Positive, Positive. = SUCCESS!!!!

Forget the competition the only damage they can do to you is about the same amount you can do back to them. They don't want to lose their accounts anymore than you do.

Eye for an Eye.

The only business you don't have is business you haven't tried to get yet.

Just my two cents.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

News can only be bad always but especially now. The definition of news is something out of the ordinary so they are not going to run positive stories. they do not hold people's attention. Things are overall slow in the country but that does not mean we have to participate individually. I had a great October & I know I am going to have to bust it to stay busy in these times.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Great message I hope I start closing some soon.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I closed 2 jobs today, one from a postcard and another from our truck advertising, down the street from a job we were doing. we are at 15 new jobs this year, almost 1/3 the way to my goal of 50 new clients this year. which, for the record, we have never gotten more than 40-42 or so new clients in a year before, so this is a lofty goal even in the good times.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Closed three in the past week. Mailers went out at end of October will be putting up more signs now.