Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-01-2008, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Work or sell?

Ive been having this problem with all my guys never being good enough. It took me and one other worker 4 hrs to get about 350 sq ft of 30 yr old lawn out. thick stuff had to go over it twice with the pick but we get a dump load i drop him off and I dump it. The next day I go over the contract with home owner we sign talk for a bit and I decide no rain ill work by myself for a bit anyways I got the same amount done in about 2:45 minutes by myself! Keep in mind I don't stop to fix my gloves or back brace or tie shoes or start screwing off halfway through the day. Anyways im about to change my company to a new one and rehire at 10/hr instead of 15/hr since its been like this forever and I have just learned to figure it into cost. The work we are doing is sod tearout-prep-installs.
My question is Do I leave all these guys in the field and get 2 jobs done a day without me or with me checking in while marketing or neighborhood walking , or do I keep on there asses and get 3 done a day and hope my girlfriend going door to door will bring enough jobs.

P.S. I hate my workers and they whine more then my 1-1/2 yr old son. They have the balls to demand new gloves everday and wont even clean there older ones, They destroy equipment lie about it and even though they have done it for over a couple years they still stand there like ******s and ask what do I do next? Maybe the worst thing is last time we worked they wanted to stop when it started to sprinkle not rain but as soon as the rain came I told them to rap it up and all I got was whining and them thinking there gonna tell me they dont want to work in the rain anymore. Im sorry i have to list the worst thing since im venting. they use to pick each other up and come to work now they all live together and dont want to dirty there piece of **** cars so they make me pic them up and want me to pay them from when they leave there door. Im a union guy personally so ive tried to be mroe then fair but this **** is too much! Oh yeah and gaterades and free lunches for days over 8 and you wont believe what i hear on 5 + hr days.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

are your employees union too?
Old 11-01-2008, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds to me like you need to find some new employees...
Old 11-01-2008, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you need non union workers. I would never put up with any of that nonsense from anyone who worked for me.
2003 Haulmark 6x14 Enclosed trailer
Old 11-01-2008, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreek View Post
they make me pic them up and want me to pay them from when they leave there door.
I had an employee that I used to pick up and drop off. On my way into work every day I would need to pick up a few things OR drop off a few things. I told him if I was giving him a lift then he would have to go on errands unpaid. He said I had "incombured" (sp?) his time.

Easy solution. I didn't pick him up any more and told him where the job site was. He changed his mind quick.

I agree that when an employee's time is engaged for work fine, but there are still reasonable expectations. Gatorades and lunch are great incentives for extra days, but ARE perks and my employees show gratitude when I order out pizza.

Our rules are pretty set. 3 lates and you get a day off. 2 no show days a week off. No uniform no work. Drugs or Alcohol on job, gone. I am polite and professional, but clear.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Oh and by the way we have a short (8 pages big print) employee manual. All employees sign manual receipt form with "at will" employee statement. Makes things cut and dry. I don't even have to say anything, they usually know ahead of time. They make some jokes, but shows they get it.

I offer it in Spanish too.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Toro dingo........
Old 11-01-2008, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Would there be any way to get a copy of your employee manual. Have thought about starting one, but have had a hard time to put one together. Please let me know. Thanks.

C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARGOS View Post
Oh and by the way we have a short (8 pages big print) employee manual. All employees sign manual receipt form with "at will" employee statement. Makes things cut and dry. I don't even have to say anything, they usually know ahead of time. They make some jokes, but shows they get it.

I offer it in Spanish too.
7x16 dual axel trailer
32" Toro Proline WB w/ jungle wheel
42" Murray 17hp LT
Echo WE
Shindawa Stick Edge
Stihl 550 Blower:
275 LBS of pure elbow grease
weightlifter:
Old 11-01-2008, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfireman2004 View Post
Toro dingo........
What if employees run the mini skid?
Old 11-01-2008, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigclawnman View Post
Would there be any way to get a copy of your employee manual. Have thought about starting one, but have had a hard time to put one together. Please let me know. Thanks.

C.
I can pm one to you. Nothing special. But templates are nice. I would assume there are free ones on-line.

I will try and remember Monday when I am in the office.