Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-13-2002, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

New JD Product Line

Has anyone seen the new product line from John Deere? I have but want others input. Have not driven one but will be checking them out. If anyone has already seen and or rode one, how r they? Will the stand up to the legendary John Deere name? Thanks everyone!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2002, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They bought Great Dane. Many of the products are now made by Dane. I would think that this being the case the quality would be better.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have seen one new Deere z, the 757, didn't get a chance to demo it. Looks real good, I really liked the foot-lift for the deck. I think they'll be good machines, my M665 z has been great so far.

Everyone is a product of their choices, not their circumstances.........

I don't normally talk to Obama supporters, but when I do, I usually ask for large fries...............
Old 02-13-2002, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i saw the new line up in the turf mag the other day. i didnt understand why john deere included the new john deere stander(great dane) in their lineup, but later in the mag great dane had an ad for their walkbehind? ill be interested to see how people like them as well.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mdb landscaping
i saw the new line up in the turf mag the other day. i didnt understand why john deere included the new john deere stander(great dane) in their lineup, but later in the mag great dane had an ad for their walkbehind? ill be interested to see how people like them as well.
The Great Dane line will still be sold; you do not have to be a JD dealer to sell Great Dane. Deere has incorporated a few of the GD built mowers into the "green" line-up.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Lee,
I worked 16 hours a week last summer for a deere dealer, and they had probly 5 acres or so, a chain link fence along the highway (one side only, it was at an intersection though) and a small fenced in part for riding mowers etc. I was basically maintenance, cleaning around the building and mowing. It took a whole 8 hour day for mowing (using JD curved shaft trimmer around everything and moving alot of riding mowers and utility tractors) and they had me use a 2001 demo model M655, with the 25hp Kohler and 54" 7 iron deck. Nice mower but it didn't stripe at all unless you got the spacing just right and not well even then. The rear wheels needed moved in a little or a little more cut width. Anyhow, can you stripe with yours??? I guess if you got the touch just right maybe.... I liked the machine itself but did not care for the cut very well at all... Otherwise it seems alot like some other ztr's out there like Bush Hog brand is just like it and many others. I also did not like the seat too well. A better seat with springs is a $500 option.... to me it should be standard since this thing mows at 9mph...
"later now" (quoted from 'awm' lol ...)
Eric
Old 02-13-2002, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

By the looks of the 2' x 3' fold-out ad in Turf Magazine, the 757 seems to have a real nice thick padded seat compared to the others. Looks a little hokey with the wrap around plastic from tank to tank, but I do like the foot lift and what looks to be an infinate height adjustment dial (is it infinate?). Dont like the thin front ribbed tires (loose the ribs, it isn't a condom!) or the way too long caster bolts. Thats about all I can see from the pics in the ad.

The Quick-Trac looks identical to a Dane, only green and yellow.

If you've seen the ad I'm talking about, whats up with the goofy pickup/dragster pulling a trailer??? Leaves a bad/cheap feeling in my head. If they would go with a serious/work attitude with their ads, some more of "US" would take notice without laughing out loud!!! LOL

Oh well, one of these years they'll catch back up, maybe then I'll look back to Green and Yellow again.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 02-14-2002, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Bushhogboy, where I'm at in south Georgia, you can't stripe grass with any mower. My M665 has been good for me, thinking about demoing a new Deere, may get one to replace a tractor mower.

Everyone is a product of their choices, not their circumstances.........

I don't normally talk to Obama supporters, but when I do, I usually ask for large fries...............
Old 02-14-2002, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
If you've seen the ad I'm talking about, whats up with the goofy pickup/dragster pulling a trailer??? Leaves a bad/cheap feeling in my head.
I saw that truck with the 8 exaust pipes (probly not real) and spoiler etc. too. Looks like it must be a GMC 1/2 ton. They also have a dodge on the other side though...not really heavy duty but they didn't put all that crap on it.

I think they have a nice lookin lineup.

Hey bushhog - how did you get a job with JD when your only 14? I wish they'd let me do that
Old 02-14-2002, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I got to see the new Deere 757 ztr yesterday at a dealer open house here. It looks nice,has some improvements from the old m665. but they failed to correct the biggest design flaw. Improvements are: nicer seat,
; foot lift for deck; stacked sheaves at rear center of deck are redesigned so belt can not be pulled under bottom sheave when it comes off; better guarding to prevent mule drive pulleys from dragging on ground. Major design blunders: massive wraparound guard for rear of machine will crumple first time you back into something as it is not very heavy metal; same cheap,flimsey spindle shafts are used as on old m665. I think I will pass. Maybe they will get it right next time. BTW, list price is about $9,600.00 for the 757.