Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-02-2008, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

New Skid Steer

What do you guys look for when buying a new skid? I am looking for one that will be able to at least lift 2500 lbs

New Horizons Land Management
1996 F-250 crew cab short bed FOR SALE
16' landscape trailer FOR SALE
14' enclosed trailer for hardscapes
6.5' x 12' 12,000 lbs dump trailer
60" Kubota ZD21 FOR SALE
60" JD 997
36" Stander for sale
Sthil Power Tools FOR SALE
Weber 7,000 lb force revs. plate tamp
Old 11-02-2008, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

terms and conditions on financing, best dealer support, pilot controls for an old fart like me to preserve whatever is left of the body, origional purchase price vs. depreciated resale value, tracks vs. wheels.........and the list goes on, which I am sure others will fill in for you.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I didnt really mean what are the options. I meant what are YOU looking for in a skid steer and why

New Horizons Land Management
1996 F-250 crew cab short bed FOR SALE
16' landscape trailer FOR SALE
14' enclosed trailer for hardscapes
6.5' x 12' 12,000 lbs dump trailer
60" Kubota ZD21 FOR SALE
60" JD 997
36" Stander for sale
Sthil Power Tools FOR SALE
Weber 7,000 lb force revs. plate tamp
Old 11-02-2008, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is what he looks for in a skid, some other stuff is how nice is the cab, how air tight the cab is, how comfortable the cab is for you, dump height, width, breakout force...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 11-02-2008, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How much will it piss off the local Bobcat dealership and the fuel economy.
Other important items are, general track record, resale, stoutness and ergonomics.
I'd sacrifice brute power if a machine won't break down because it has all that power and suck massive amounts of fuel, if it still gets the job done, who needs gobs and gobs of stump pushing power?
A good track record as far as reliability and being able to fix it in your drive way with out tearing everything apart just to fix a simple thing like a fuse.
General stoutness, some skid steers are built heavier in areas where they don't need it, and others really need more "beef" in critical areas where there will be a lot of stress (Bobcat tilt pins and quick attach frames)
A nice comfortable cab and being able to check the fluid levels quickly is important, no sense scraping mud off the Bobcat sight glass on the hydraulic tank just to see whether it's low or not.
Lastly, enough ROC to get the job done, nothing overkill.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 11-02-2008, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

NewHorizons.......Junior is right, that is how I narrowed down my choices. I ended up going with a Gehl 5640T with enclosed cab, pilot controls, changed the tires over to a VTS track system, have a nice stereo with heat and air.......and it works for me for what I do at an affordable price. If it breaks, these guys give me good support.......I can even call them and order filters and such and they will have a guy drop them by my place on his way home. That saves me time. Gehl may not be the fanciest or most comfortable, certainly not the most expensive, and may not rate on the top of the heap with performance.........but balancing out all the factors in machine ownership, I thought it was a good move and to date, has been.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Resale value , comfort , product support...
Old 11-02-2008, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am a power guy, I like high torque engines. Working at up to 10K feet you need a machine that can breath deep. I like lots of wheel torque and predictable torque curves.

Ride Control. Got to have it. One of the single biggest performance enhancements that I have found. I can roll over anything but major moguls in high gear with the RC activated and not spill the load or hit your head on the headliner.

Visibility. I like to see my tires. I don't like having my bucket in travel mode and not be able to see to the left and right like some machines.

Hyd. performance. I like machines that can put out a lot of oil. Any attachments that runs a hyd. motor runs better when getting good flow of oil. I think at least 21 gpm at the aux. 35 to 40 at the high flow aux.

Bucket and arm breakout: Very important specs for me. We move a lot of material with a skid steer. Having the ability to load out of a bank of material is important.

Resale: Very important and probably one of the biggest overlooked areas when purchasing. I get incredible resale. Some of my machines have had ownership rates as low as $5.00 an hour. Most of my machines are sold before they hit the dealers lot when I trade. The great resale I get has allowed me to trade often and keep my machines current. I am not forced to run it until it pukes due to not having any resale value.

Cab Comfort: Being comfortable is important.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First thing to look at is the dealership support and service. (Is it a small warehouse or large dealership)Make sure to compare models to other brands. Sometimes the cheapest isn't the way to go. Some brands have more features than others that a customer didn't know about. Like the bobcat. You can access the engine compartment better than any other brand on the market. Its user freindly for oil changes etc. Engine and hydraulic shutdown sensors. LCD Keyless panel that shows Eng/Hyg. oil levels. (no reason to get out to clean mud off site gauge) No chaincase adjustments for the chains like some others.( NH, cat, Case etc.) Get what you can afford. Bobcat has 0% for 50 months right now...Just makesure you do not buy a machine that is to small (ROC). Buy a machine that will grow with your company..
Old 11-03-2008, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would say is if anything buy a machine that is to big and grow into it so you wont have to sell a skid a year after you buy it because you find out it isnt big enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!