Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-02-2008, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ventless gas can, add a vent, simple to do. (how to)

Ok, so I bought some new "No-Spill" brand cans, in hopes that they worked like the old one I had... Nope. The are just like everyother junk gas can out there and they vent air into the can through the outflowing stream of gas... Hence the flow rate is horrifically SLOW.

I know I'm not the only person with these problems, albeit a minor deal, it's just something that adds frustration to the day, and I'm all for making my life a little easier!

Sooo, I went on a quest today to find a solution, and came up with this, It worked BETTER than I had even hoped. No more "glug glug glug" and blown up, or shrunken cans! The pour rate (GPM) is *almost* as good as my old Gott cans now.

Vents:
-Slime brand CH3 Tractor valves (for tires, air or liquid filled) Found at TSC store.
-21/64" drill bit for the hole in the can to thread the valve into, no tap needed, the threads went into the plastic can and are tight.
-9/64" bit to drill out the inside of the valve, yes, remove the actual valve inside of it first. Drilling it out larger allows air to flow easier/faster.
-1/16" bit to drill a hole in the cap itself, *optional* but I wanted to stop the can expanding and contracting and the small hole will allow this and not let dirt and water in.

Only problems I see is that, yes, the 1/16" hole in the cap DOES spew a little fuel if the can is full and you shake it around. and 2. It's going to be a bit hard to keep track of those little caps, I can see me loosing more than a few, lol, but they are cheap to replace, heck, I could get some dice or skull caps for them

And YES, I'm aware I've already posted this, but it was at the bottom of another thread that was dead, and this is something I thought I'd share.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Looks like a pretty good ideal to me. I use the 2.5 no spill cans, but I just use them for mix. If I fueled my mowers with these I might try this. Heck I might try it anyway. One thing I do not understand with these new CARB cans is when you hit the button before you fill gas vapors and some fuel always go into the air, I thought this is what they were trying to get away from. Nice pics btw.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've already ordered some of these battery vents to try out.
Their advantage is that they will allow excess pressure to go out without any gas spill when closed and will allow plenty of air to go in when flipped open.
I should get them this week and will let you know how it works.
Attached Images

Echo PAS-265 Power-heads with Trimmer, Edger, Hedge Clipper, ProSweep and Power Pruner attachments
Shindaiwa EB-802RT, Echo PB-755T & PB-265L Backpack Blowers
Various backup equipment (Poulan Pro, Toro, Troy Bilt, etc...)
Professional pressure washing equipment.
Amsoil synthetic oil and E3 spark plugs for all engines...
Old 11-03-2008, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That RULES but do be careful with plastic 'caps' as fuel has a tendency
to melt certain types of plastic, other than that this is a really nice idea,
and yeah I'm off to find some of them there, what did you say, oh yeah
tractor tire valve things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
Ok, so I bought some new "No-Spill" brand cans, in hopes that they worked like the old one I had... Nope. The are just like everyother junk gas can out there and they vent air into the can through the outflowing stream of gas... Hence the flow rate is horrifically SLOW.
Friggin stupidest POS crap garbage load of horse manure ever made, these 'safety' cans.
And yes they are ALL like that, every single last one, the fact that some mfg's make it appear
like theirs isn't doesn't help matters at all.

All we can hope for, is if enough folks convert their own cans that one day the stupid regulation either expires
or gets sideswiped and some fool manufacturer will think they came up with the greatest idea on the face of this earth
by 'borrowing' from this idea and producing the gas can that used to be the standard not 6-7 years ago.

Is this how they re-invent the wheel, by coming up with a regulation that forces mfg's to make them square for some time?
Then, one day in the future, after they figure the round wheels have long been forgotten, some smiley-faced Born-yesterday
Joe Inventor comes up with the best thing since sliced bread, a round wheel.

If that ever does happen, DO remember to be SURE to pick up a LOT of them right before they are outlawed
I still have two of my Craftsman old-style cans.

sigh

Last edited by topsites; 11-03-2008 at 01:48 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im going to regret the day I have to replace my traditional gas cans with these new pieces of s_hit. I loaned one of my 2.5 gallon ones to my father and I was so pissed when I was there the other day because the cap was missing off of it. Luckily he had a empty 1 gallon one in the same style and we put the cap from it on mine.

F_ucking dirtbag lawyers and f_ucking big brother government
Old 11-03-2008, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just went with the metal safety cans with the yellow funnels. Be done with it. Tony

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Old 11-03-2008, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Metal cans are even worse, safety wise. I was coming home one day and saw a nice plastic gas can laying in the center of the highway, people swerving to miss hitting it. About 15 minutes later I had stopped at a Roy Rodgers for a sandwich. As I pulled out and onto the road, I noticed a gas can in the road. It was half the width and it looked familiar. Sure enough it was the one I saw, a car had hit it and drug it about 5 miles on the highway. Now replace that with a metal can and it could have turned into a fatal car fire. I knew I should have stopped and got it while it was still like new.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
That RULES but do be careful with plastic 'caps' as fuel has a tendency
to melt certain types of plastic, other than that this is a really nice idea,
and yeah I'm off to find some of them there, what did you say, oh yeah
tractor tire valve things
The caps I ordered are made for industrial batteries and resist to most chemicals, oils, etc.
I will put one to soak in gas for a good while to check them out but I do not think I should worry to much about it...
Echo PAS-265 Power-heads with Trimmer, Edger, Hedge Clipper, ProSweep and Power Pruner attachments
Shindaiwa EB-802RT, Echo PB-755T & PB-265L Backpack Blowers
Various backup equipment (Poulan Pro, Toro, Troy Bilt, etc...)
Professional pressure washing equipment.
Amsoil synthetic oil and E3 spark plugs for all engines...
Old 11-03-2008, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Very cool modification. The way these ventless cans pour starts out as a minor irritation but is more of a headache all the time for me.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

they do make a good no spill can its metal and pricey but they work like the old metal cans they use to sell well before i was born i will try and get a name of them tonight its some kinda safety can has a big metal handle on top of them i dont know if they have them in 5 gal cans though