Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-07-2009, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

dont know why a person would want to do this.
most co's, myself included, mail out invoices monthly, as far as bid sheets, you can hand write the name and info in the blank space.

being in Texas there is NO way a lap top much less a printer would survive the heat.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i just ordered my setup off ebay. a tablet pc and a portable printer. i plan on doing bids with it. i think it will make my bids stand out and look much more professional.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

like this?

That was in my old truck. Should be getting my new truck set up anytime.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiaa View Post
dont know why a person would want to do this.
most co's, myself included, mail out invoices monthly, as far as bid sheets, you can hand write the name and info in the blank space.

being in Texas there is NO way a lap top much less a printer would survive the heat.
So what do all the cops run in their patrol cars/trucks then? I highly doubt they call-in everything to dispatch, and I know they can't keep all those vehicles running with the AC on to keep 'em cool inside. I know here where I live some of the PD's have printers in the squads and don't have any problems in the summer.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by milsaps118 View Post
So what do all the cops run in their patrol cars/trucks then? I highly doubt they call-in everything to dispatch, and I know they can't keep all those vehicles running with the AC on to keep 'em cool inside. I know here where I live some of the PD's have printers in the squads and don't have any problems in the summer.
they run whats called a dumb treminal. it emmulates the mainframe.

and yes most of the time the auto's/trucks are running. If you have ever been here you would know it reaches temps of 140-150 inside a car in the sumer time.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramairfreak98ss View Post
few things.

Dont even attempt using ANY laser unless your printing massive amounts of docs.

Laser printers will use a surge of 1200+ watts at warmup or more, id say if your DEAD set on using that thing, a 1200+ would be where i'd feel safe with and make sure the truck is "running", printing even 10 pages for 1-2 minutes and your truck may not be able to crank over from that massive draw

keep in mind your pulling 1200 watts into 120v AC, converts into something ridiculous like 250amps off 12v

... Buy a good HP 350 model inkjet or better that comes with a battery so you wont even need an inverter, theyre $300 or less depending on the model, quiet and last a long time.

With all that, i have all of this type of equipment and i wont even consider it. We'd have to have them in every truck, theyd get dirty, multiple people using them and laptops, more paperwork errors etc. Unless you REALLY need it or wireless internet, leave it in the office and have some blank forms just to fill out at least temporarily.
You cannot convert watts to amps, since watts are power and amps are coulombs per second (like converting gallons to miles). HOWEVER, if you have at least least two of the following three: amps, volts and watts then the missing one can be calculated. Since watts are amps multiplied by volts, there is a simple relationship between them.

If you used 1200 watts at 12 volts this would be 100amps NOT 250. 1200 watts at 120 volts would be 10 amps. I highly doubt you would need this much.

Power consumption samsung laser: 450 watts printing, 45 watts idle is a samsung I found which is close to what you have. 4.09 amps@110 if your counting.

Watts is usage and amps are the pressure in irrigation terms. However, what do I know I was laid off from Florida Power as they had no use for me.

450 watts at 110 volts would be somewhere along the lines of 4.1 amps, and you would be drawing just under 40 amps at 12 volts; Further more, you would need a dedicated fuse for this to work and a cable rated for the amps at 12 volts. Oh and you would still have to calculate voltage drop into the wire size if needed I could calculate this as well if you are still going to do this.

I would not recommend using a inverter to power high priced equipment as you are not actually creating a perfect sine wave and you leave a lot of square edges. Inverters leave what is called a modified sine wave which is horrible to power motors which your printer has you will have failure rather soon then if plugged into a true a/c source. You would defiantly kill a cpu if running on a inverter unless it is a pure sine wave inverter which I know no one on here has or they wouldn't be mowing lawns or digging ponds lol.

I have a HP Deskjet D2545 Printer and this will draws 1.6 amps@12 volts and only 16 watts. The price of ink is the cheapest I have found at walmart which is 32 dollars for two cartridges one black one color. You will get 200 pages in black and like 120 in color. This printer is like 45 bucks and would work with your cigarette lighter.

Last edited by unkownfl; 04-09-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiaa View Post
they run whats called a dumb treminal. it emmulates the mainframe.

and yes most of the time the auto's/trucks are running. If you have ever been here you would know it reaches temps of 140-150 inside a car in the sumer time.
They are connected through the internet. Which in return can connect into their server which can access the mainframe.