Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-18-2016, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking for an explanation on how Google serches work...

Sorry for the poor title, its the best I could think of on short notice...

I have been working very hard on my SEO in the Columbus Ga area and surrounding areas. As I drive around town running errands going out to eat, researching future neighborhoods to advertise to, I am constantly searching popular key word searches for lawn care. I can find my self in one part of town number 2 on the maps search, and then travel 6 miles and find myself as low as 7 on the same key word search, then head north a little and find myself in the top 3 again.

Does google treat mobile searches different than desktop laptop searches? I was wondering why there can be so much variation per search.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If maps, then yes. It goes by location too.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, the local/maps results vary based on the searcher's location and the query.

Have a question about something I say? Just shoot me a PM, I don't subscribe to threads!
Old 01-18-2016, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well let me bounce this off you guys...

There are several local companies that show up top 3 no matter where you search... Are they just optimized better?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2016, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

They may be. "Organic" signals are part of the local/maps algorithm. I have a couple guys in my market who consistently show up in the 3-pack over a very large area. They usually ALSO show up below in the organic results. Do these guys for you?

Another thing to keep in mind- your results are also personalized. So you are more likely to see results from companies that G thinks you are interested in. So if you have visited those sites, searched those company names, clicked on those results, follow them on G+, etc then your results are somewhat individualized.

Have a question about something I say? Just shoot me a PM, I don't subscribe to threads!
Old 01-18-2016, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Would creating a new google account with 0 searches show more accurate results? Something similar to a homeowner searching for lawn care?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2016, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Does google treat mobile searches different than desktop laptop searches? I was wondering why there can be so much variation per search.
Make sure you're doing your searches in the "incognito" version of Google Chrome to wipe out the personalized results.

For "local" searches Google relies on what they call a "centroid" of a city (this is NOT based on the city center). If your business falls outside this "hub" they've determined for your industry it's a lot harder to rank in the local pack.

http://www.localsearchforum.com/goog...s-ranking.html

The closer your address is to the centroid, the better chance you have of ranking in the local maps pack. The algorithm gives more weight to a business that is closer.

They also give more weight to a business that has good reviews, a strong citation profile, lots of detailed photos (properly named), authoritive local backlinks such as the BBB, Chamber of Commerce, Homeowner Associations, Little League team sponsorships etc...

Schema markup is also giving guys an edge in Google local packs by marking up their address, products and testimonials which can make them stand out in the SERPS quite a bit more than a plain jane listing.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Likely best to use a clean browser for testing then ask people here to do a search for you.

Test your self with a different browser with cleared cookies and history. After you have what you want and it can take weeks for tweaks to show up on Google. Come here and ask others to use various keywords you used for SEO.

Google Plus

Google Reviews
Old 01-19-2016, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddH View Post
Likely best to use a clean browser for testing then ask people here to do a search for you.

Test your self with a different browser with cleared cookies and history. After you have what you want and it can take weeks for tweaks to show up on Google. Come here and ask others to use various keywords you used for SEO.
Is there a data base or somewhere that has the most popular keyword searches for lawn care and landscaping?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2016, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Is there a data base or somewhere that has the most popular keyword searches for lawn care and landscaping?
Not that someone will just give you. You could try the Google Adwords keyword planner or another option is to check your Google Webmaster Tools account and click the "Search Analytics" tab. You can see a list of keywords you've been found for and their corresponding impressions. This can help with keyword and content ideas too.