Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2002, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

air in the hydro system

I just changed my hydro fluid, and filter in my Turf Tiger. I think I have air in the system, as when I engage the levers, it seems to bog down, and take longer to get to full speed. Does this sound reasonable? Also, how should I purge the system? Also, this is a drive shaft driven mower deck, and now for some reason the engine will die when I engage the blades. Does this sound like something that could be related to the hydro? I can not see how, but who knows.

Thanks fellas
Jay
Old 02-14-2002, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: shady did you fill the oil filter first until it would'nt take no more oil? and are you useing the proper weight oil in the drive system. as far as the engine dyin when you engage the blades you could have something restrict the blades from funtioning, how about the gear box oil have you checked that for seized bearing? Tony
Old 02-14-2002, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just discovered what the deal was..... I changed the spark plug, but did not reconnect the plug wire! My question is.... How did it run at all?

But she is running super now, does not appear to be an air problem. I do hate getting that hydro filter just tight enough, it always wants to leak some fluid.

But then again, I must be ******ed. I don't mind, long is the machine is going.

But just for kicks, how do you purge that hydro system?

Thanks
Jay
Old 02-14-2002, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: shady, a 2 cylinder engine will run with i cylinder, just not well and have no power, it will even sound weak, this is how we check if a cylinder has gone bad, you would puull the plug boot off and if the engine is still running then you know the side connected is good, if you where to pull the boot off and the engine where to shut down then you would know you have a down cylinder. as far as the hydro sytem goes i usually just drain the resiovoir and change the filter and dont mess with getting the oil out of the system, there are to many places for mistakes then. Tony
Old 02-14-2002, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks alot General Grounds, that is very helpful. One thing that did cross my mind was, where is the second plug. I mean with two cyliders, you would think there would be two plugs. Oh well, there I go thinking again.

Thanks
Jay
Old 02-14-2002, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Try operating both levers forward and reverse about 1/2 inch about 100 times. Then recheck the fluid level. This should purge some of the air. Your other plug is symetrically across from your known plug. Can't miss it.
Old 02-15-2002, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

khouse

Shows you how observant I am!

Thanks for your help.

Oh, one final question. If your filter continues to seap a bit, is it ususally because it is on too tight, or too loose?

Thanks
Jay
Old 02-15-2002, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have problems with that filter sealing then you probably have a scratch or machine error on the surface where the filter seats to the housing. The filter is on the low side of the hydro's so it onlt need to be tightened maybe 1/3 to 1/2 turn past of when the seal makes contact with the flange. Do you always have problems with this filter sealing?
Old 02-15-2002, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe it's leaking from the filter housing gasket not the filter seal?
Old 02-15-2002, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So far every time I have changed the filter I get a leak. After jimmying around with it I can get her to stop. Has taken several attempts each time to get it right. I think I maybe going closer to a full turn. My problem is seeing when I initially make contact with the seal. I may have to back it off a bit.

Thanks a bunch
Jay