Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-26-2015, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Central PA - landscape supply house???

Hi all,

Recently relocated to the central PA area (Lewisburg - Danville - Bloomsburg), right off Rt. 80.

Can anyone recommend a landscape supply house in the area for seed, fertilizer, chemicals?

The closest John Deere Landscapes are 50+ miles away.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, you could head east on 80, Helena chemical is in Mifflinburg. There is Browns in Mill Run to the north of you. there are a bunch of old agways around too.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball756 View Post
Well, you could head east on 80, Helena chemical is in Mifflinburg. There is Browns in Mill Run to the north of you. there are a bunch of old agways around too.
I knew Helena Chemical was there (I believe it's MifflinVILLE which is east of me), but I thought they were strictly crop seed and fertilizers. I can call over to see what sort of turf supply they do.

I'm not sure what Browns is - are you sure it's Mill Run? Mill Run is in the southwest corner of the state if Google is telling me correctly...
Old 08-27-2015, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fisher and Son in Exton Pa delivers at least as far away as the state of New York. Call them and ask them to have Zac Owen call you.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Member

My bad, it is Mifflinville. And forget Brown's it is bird food. Helena is the cheapest for chemicals but service is scarce. You have to talk to the central phone desk and depending on who you get is what you get, you get a pickup order and then go pick it up, the guys at the warehouse don't know too much including what they got in the warehouse.

The major player right now is Andre and son in Montrose, PA, and their line is Turf King. They are a big blender regionally and do a lot of school's and golf courses. Call Rich Gdovin 607-761-9465 for information. Put him on the defensive, ask him where your limestone is.

Penn State Seed in Dallas has everything you could ever imagine. Jim Harkins 800-847-7333. They are the major supplier of greenhouses on the east coast. They do work with small guys starting out but you pay the same price no matter how much you buy.

Harrell's in Butler Don Liprando 800-557-5157 does a lot of golf courses work in the area

Webb's super gro products 570-726-4525 in Mill Hall is another blender/supplier. They use to sell a lot of Lesco products but in a different bag.

Wengers in Muncy and Martins Feed in Mifflinburg, DeAngelo brothers in Hazelton has been known to dabble in supplies too.

GenesisTurf 717-759-8151 has it all too. Jim MacLaren, white haven 570-443-7154 was the rep. Jimmie Mac is really the guy you want to talk too. He is old, in fact he started with Dinosaur bones but you will not find anyone more knowledgeable than him in NEPA. Be prepared, he is very keen wit. Ask the questions, he will answer them truthfully. He used to sell a triple 13 fertilizer, called Glorious after his wife. The stuff was amazing and all the competitors kept calling it dirt because they couldn't top it. Super, super guy and was past president of Turfgrass association, super indent's assoc.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I forgot Fisher and Son was a good recommendation too. Frank Fisher was the best chemist I knew when it came to chemicals. He knew pests and he knew combination of chemicals to kill them. And talk about his trade show in West Chester. Nice family run business but they have lost a lot of their sales reps. And thinking about it, I don't think they ever missed a delivery date in the 40 years that I delt with them