The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2011, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLANDS View Post
NJ is a joke when it comes to this,
Just today while talking to my partner in the Hess Station
we counted 6 landscapers with no commercial plates, 2 of them even had fertilizer spreaders and bags of Lesco Pre-em in their trucks in plain sight. All in 30 minutes this morning.
They (NJ) make us buy all these licenses and insurance and workers comp and it gets to a point we cant compete with them. It never really bothered me as much as it does now. Did an estimate today for $50 and the lady said to me the last company here gave her a price of $30 and they would bag it...LOL
She showed it to me it was scribbled on a piece of paper with the company name on top. Actually said $30 ..cash only .. no tax ....nice

Something needs to be done
two pesticide inspectors for the entire state of nj, only time they come around is if there's a complaint...and it's usually to bust the stones of the guys that are legit! the only ones i've heard doing random field inspections are nj dept. of labor. they're broke and they need more money so landscapers are def an easy target!
Old 05-01-2011, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

oh yeah, how about the nj contractors license? ever heard of it being enforced lol? just another money grab by this pos state.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf'n'Turf View Post
oh yeah, how about the nj contractors license? ever heard of it being enforced lol? just another money grab by this pos state.
The only thing enforced about the stupid Contractors license is the renewal!

It is a joke
Old 05-01-2011, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Member

dep is out in force (as in the countys hazmat team has been given authority to enforce regs) i know of three people who where stopped in monmouth county last week, two made out well, the third one didn't (three violations). everyone better be on the up and up. they are checking everything. remember any pesticide applied (round up, treflan, snapshot, etc.) you need a license. lots of landscapers don't think they need a pest. license for this.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone does trees ? wanna dump wood ? free ? I got you
Old 05-02-2011, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realist View Post
dep is out in force (as in the countys hazmat team has been given authority to enforce regs) i know of three people who where stopped in monmouth county last week, two made out well, the third one didn't (three violations). everyone better be on the up and up. they are checking everything. remember any pesticide applied (round up, treflan, snapshot, etc.) you need a license. lots of landscapers don't think they need a pest. license for this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2011, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody use a credit union for their banking in Ocean County? I have used commerce bank since i was seven years old and for 8 years I've been in business but am starting to look around.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me ask this question one more time

Do you charge customers for taxes on all services in NJ ? I been figuring out taxes in my quotes but have no clue if I am suppose to charge tax or not

I know on grass cutting you do what about planting ? mulch ? I mean I get charged taxes at the yard so they should pay it back no ?

what about pavers gravel topsoil etc ? mixed info some say it is capital improvement and some say its not !

And do you just file taxes quarterly online ? like any other business ?

edit : google is my friend

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxa...andscape.shtml
Old 05-04-2011, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk90s13 View Post
Let me ask this question one more time

Do you charge customers for taxes on all services in NJ ? I been figuring out taxes in my quotes but have no clue if I am suppose to charge tax or not

I know on grass cutting you do what about planting ? mulch ? I mean I get charged taxes at the yard so they should pay it back no ?

what about pavers gravel topsoil etc ? mixed info some say it is capital improvement and some say its not !

And do you just file taxes quarterly online ? like any other business ?

edit : google is my friend

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxa...andscape.shtml

Anything that is hardscaping is NON taxable. That would be Pavers, Fencing, Ponds, etc.

You do need to charge sales tax on any landscape work. That would be mowing, trimming, mulching, plant design and installation, or any other landscape oriented work. Then you are only supposed to charge tax on the labor portion of the work. Not the full invoice.

This is my understanding of sales tax but there is so much crap I could be off for all I know.

ICPI Certified Installer / NCMA SRW Installer
Rutgers University - Landscape Design
Brookdale Community College - Horticulture
Process of getting Irrigation License

2003 Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1996 Ford F-Super Duty Mason Dump 4x4 Diesel
A lot of fun tools to get the job done RIGHT!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDavisLandscapes View Post
Anything that is hardscaping is NON taxable. That would be Pavers, Fencing, Ponds, etc.

You do need to charge sales tax on any landscape work. That would be mowing, trimming, mulching, plant design and installation, or any other landscape oriented work. Then you are only supposed to charge tax on the labor portion of the work. Not the full invoice.

This is my understanding of sales tax but there is so much crap I could be off for all I know.
And for filing you have to file quarterly but if your sales tax collections are more than $500 a month you have to file monthly.

ICPI Certified Installer / NCMA SRW Installer
Rutgers University - Landscape Design
Brookdale Community College - Horticulture
Process of getting Irrigation License

2003 Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1996 Ford F-Super Duty Mason Dump 4x4 Diesel
A lot of fun tools to get the job done RIGHT!