Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-28-2010, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusive View Post
I dont know about you southern jersey people, but up north we finally got another 1-2 inches of snow. I woke and was like WTF???? Figures the weather forecasters wouldnt know this was gonna happen. I wish I had a job that paid me to be wrong all the time!!
luck!! we have nothing. also it looks like this system from the south is gonna scoot across the carolinas and stay south of us for saturday. bummer! im am just hoping the storm shoots a couple hundred miles north and slams us. but you are right they are always wrong!! also its nice to be able to show some excitement for snow to come with some ppl who understand it haha. everyone else tells me im crazy for wanting snow. $$$$$$$

www.Vogel-Landscaping.com
Old 01-28-2010, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogel-Landscaping View Post
luck!! we have nothing. also it looks like this system from the south is gonna scoot across the carolinas and stay south of us for saturday. bummer! im am just hoping the storm shoots a couple hundred miles north and slams us. but you are right they are always wrong!! also its nice to be able to show some excitement for snow to come with some ppl who understand it haha. everyone else tells me im crazy for wanting snow. $$$$$$$
yeah..nothin' here right now...
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 01-28-2010, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Got about 2" at port newark this morning. Plowing company caught off guard too, no salt at all. Machines were slidding all over the place
Old 01-28-2010, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Whats up guys, its good to see alot of people from Jersey on here. I m up in North Jersey in Hopatcong. I dont really post to much on here, I just like to read and see whats going on. But I do have a question and would like some feedback. A friend of mine recently told me that I could have his mason dump for free. I would have to check on the exact year but I think it is a 1979 ford f350 with a 9 ft body on it, gas engine, manual trans, 2 wheel drive. Its older and nothing great but mechanically it is in great shape. There is no rot and not to much rust either. It doesnt need anything and its free. The question I asked myself is if I need it. Currently no I dont absolutely need however I could put it to use and it would make my life easier. My plans would to be put my leaf loader on the back of it and make it a leaf truck during leaf season. Currently I have to rake everything out of my truck and/or trailer. And for the rest of the year I could use it for hauling mulch, topsoil, etc. What I am trying to figure out is if it will be financially smarter for me to make do with what I got and get any material delivered. I would need to find a place to keep it. My town does not allow you to keep mason dumps in your driveway. It another vehicle to register and insure. What would something like this cost me to put commercial insurance on it? I could not see it being alot because it is old and probably not worth a whole lot. Any comments, opinion, and advice would we great thanks.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pun299 View Post
What I am trying to figure out is if it will be financially smarter for me to make do with what I got and get any material delivered. I would need to find a place to keep it. My town does not allow you to keep mason dumps in your driveway. It another vehicle to register and insure. What would something like this cost me to put commercial insurance on it? I could not see it being alot because it is old and probably not worth a whole lot. Any comments, opinion, and advice would we great thanks.

For my oldest vehicle which is a 1996 Ford F-250 diesel it only costs me an additional $18 a month for just liability on my commercial policy.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pun299 View Post
Whats up guys, its good to see alot of people from Jersey on here. I m up in North Jersey in Hopatcong. I dont really post to much on here, I just like to read and see whats going on. But I do have a question and would like some feedback. A friend of mine recently told me that I could have his mason dump for free. I would have to check on the exact year but I think it is a 1979 ford f350 with a 9 ft body on it, gas engine, manual trans, 2 wheel drive. Its older and nothing great but mechanically it is in great shape. There is no rot and not to much rust either. It doesnt need anything and its free. The question I asked myself is if I need it. Currently no I dont absolutely need however I could put it to use and it would make my life easier. My plans would to be put my leaf loader on the back of it and make it a leaf truck during leaf season. Currently I have to rake everything out of my truck and/or trailer. And for the rest of the year I could use it for hauling mulch, topsoil, etc. What I am trying to figure out is if it will be financially smarter for me to make do with what I got and get any material delivered. I would need to find a place to keep it. My town does not allow you to keep mason dumps in your driveway. It another vehicle to register and insure. What would something like this cost me to put commercial insurance on it? I could not see it being alot because it is old and probably not worth a whole lot. Any comments, opinion, and advice would we great thanks.
That sucks you can't park the truck in your driveway. I have a 2005 f-350 mason dump. The tags alone cost me $213 a year and the insurance is $1,100 a year for full coverage. The truck sure comes in handy though. I got a lot more work just by having it. Hope that helps.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea ox View Post
That sucks you can't park the truck in your driveway. I have a 2005 f-350 mason dump. The tags alone cost me $213 a year and the insurance is $1,100 a year for full coverage. The truck sure comes in handy though. I got a lot more work just by having it. Hope that helps.
how many yards of mulch can you hold in that 350? what size bed?

Old 01-29-2010, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Its a 9 1/2' bed with tall sideboards. It can hold 5 yards
Old 01-29-2010, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea ox View Post
Its a 9 1/2' bed with tall sideboards. It can hold 5 yards
gas or diesel? and does that 5 yards weigh you down a lot if you have a trailer also? reason im asking is becasuse im looking to add another truck to the fleet. i want a single cab stake body but if it gets too close to march and i cant find one at a good price ill just grab a used mason. my father in his infinate wisdom thinks a 350 will be too light and suggests a 450 or 550. what do you think?

Old 01-30-2010, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Its a 5.4 gas motor. You can definitely tell the load is back there but the truck has no problem getting going or stopping. It can haul 2.5 ton legally. It all depends what you are going to use the truck for. We do mostly maintenance so mostly we use the truck for leaves and grass. Everyone wants their lawn bagged so we fill the truck once a week. If a was hauling topsoil or stone all the time I would definitely get a 450-550. A company i used to work for had a f-450 6.0 diesel and a 08 f-550 6.4 diesel. Both of them were in the shop countless times. The 550 would only get 8.9 mpg. Thats about what I get. I had to search for 2 years to find a decent used truck..