Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-09-2008, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

electric dog fence

does anyone do anything with electric dog fences was thinking of adding it didnt know if was worth it. they are pretty easy to install im really good with electrical stuff.
cell (616)446-7475

62" z master
48" LT166 john deere with bagger
echo blower/toro blower
stihl trimmer and attachments
john deere trimmer attachments
99 F-250 V10 crew cab 4x4
18' landscape trailer
8hp trac vac leaf loader
Old 11-09-2008, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Very easy to do and there is not anything electrical about it except plugging it into an outlet. It takes about 10 minutes to train the dog. Cost is about 200.00 to do a quarter acre and you can get about 750.00 for it. It will take you 2 hours to install it.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks yeh that pretty easy then just have plug it in was to sure about that part. seems like would be a good money maker then. think going to go and give it a try then see what happens.
cell (616)446-7475

62" z master
48" LT166 john deere with bagger
echo blower/toro blower
stihl trimmer and attachments
john deere trimmer attachments
99 F-250 V10 crew cab 4x4
18' landscape trailer
8hp trac vac leaf loader
Old 11-09-2008, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck. Very easy to do. Do one or two then go get some signs and you will make some extra money. Check this site out. http://www.petsafe.net/
Old 11-09-2008, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I've been considering offering this service as well.

Excellent!

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ô
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Petsafe has distributors relationship and you will have to check to see if there are any companies that are authorized to sell/install their product. I had to beg these people for information it took over a month for someone to tell me that my area was already taken. I hope there product is better than their service.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just buy it over the net and no one will know the difference.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Installing the job is relatively easy. But to do it right will take about 3 hours for a typical half acre job. The hard part is the marketing and the dog training. I spend about a half hour during the first training session with the owners (10 minutes with the dog and about 20 minutes with the owners) and I come back three days later to do a follow up session. If you try to train a dog in 10 minutes - you will have lots of problems and develop a bad reputation very quickly.

It will be hard to get a good price for the job if people think this is something you do on the side. You may want to start up a stand-alone business that just focuses on this service. There are several companies that will let you be a dealer if they don't have one in your area, or you can install the systems available to the public. I install several types - including dealer only sytems.

The hardest part is the marketing. It takes a lot of effort to make the phone ring and there is no repeat business.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I was a dealer for a brand called PetStop several years ago. I agree that you want to spend more than 10 min on training. The training is the most important part and your customers success or failure can depend on their commitment to training. Most of your time training will actually be training the dog owner how to train and the importance of not rushing thru it. The different systems available work basically the same way. The pro installed systems have bells and whistle and much longer warranties. Lightning is the biggest threat so make sure you sell a lightning and surge protector made specifically for dog fencing (panamax). You can get a conversion kit for a rear tine tiller to install wire without trenching. (search DMR dog fence trencher). I install systems on the side every once and awhile for $250-$350 with the customer buying their own system. This way if it breaks it is on them, I just stand behind the wire installation.
Hope this helps, TF
Old 12-26-2008, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Use a power edger

I find that using a power edger works the best for me. I can cut a small groove in an acre yard in about 20min, then run around the perimeter tucking the wire into the groove. I've tried several methods and this one is the quickest for me. I also always mark the corners so that when I have to repair the wire (it WILL get a break occasionally) I can quickly isolate which run the break is in, and just replace that section. I know there are slick tools to find the breaks, but this works for me.