Register free!

Old 02-15-2002, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need your .02

Customer has approx 3700 Sf grass area in backyard 2500 Sf is either dead, dirt or weeds. They fixed the reason for it's current state (Irrigation and poor maintenance). They want to have sod put in. All the sod I have installed in the past three years of business have either been a fresh install or I cut out the bad area, treat, level and sod. They want me to cut a few corners and save a few bucks. they want me to treat existing area with non selective and wait a week and sod on top of old. Anyone ever done it. The soil to sod contact should be good since most of the area is sand/dirt anyway. Just never did it that way and wondered what you would do.
Old 02-15-2002, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yah it will work, but don't go back to the sod farm for replacement if it doesn't.

Do it right, even if you don't remove the old stuff, at least till it. The soil under the old sod is still compact. Therefore, grass will have a harder time knitting to ground. also in time you will be revisting previous issued stated.

John
Old 02-15-2002, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

John,
You mentioned that if I don't remove the old to till it. Won't tilling the area cause as much labor as doing it the right way? hence........tilling will create major lumps of dead vegitation with little hope of smoothing the area with a landscape rake and with all that we are back to higher labor rate etc. back to where the customer is trying to avoid. The soil is mostly sand and hardly compact. The customer is a good annual account but I'm concerned if I force the issue to "do it right" and don't worry about the money it may backfire and zilch!
Old 02-15-2002, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

I would look into a power rake for a skidsteer or tractor. In a short time, you could peel that old stuff right off and be ready for the sod.

steve
Old 02-18-2002, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

sod vs. seed

I would definetly do it right. Don't sod over it even if you Roundup it. The sod won't root properly. Look into renting a Dingo w/ soil prep machine or better yet "demo" it My rep helped me for two hours move 10 yds dirt and harly rake it for free. I've sodded over old & it didn't work. Verticutting it up could smooth it out and or heavy core aeration could help. If it was me I would probably VC & seed it if cost is a big factor. Use seed starter treatment and it will come up faster. Good luck E-mail me if needed. Roye
Old 02-18-2002, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If your doing it to save labor, the right way is not the way to go.

I would suggest doing the way the Roye and Steve suggested.

You asked about doing it the right way, ask any sod farm or nursery. Probaly will tell you the way I, Roye or Steve said to do it.

In 20 years of being on my own I learned this: cutting corners will always bite you in the butt some day.

John
Old 02-18-2002, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

there r 2 ways to do a job
1 do the job right
2 do the job over

Let your client in on this!!!

Bob
Old 02-18-2002, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on what type of grass and how soon your clients want results, plugging could be an option. If the area is properly irrigated and fertilized you could have a nice lawn be the end of this summer. Not usually feasible, but it is an inexpensive option.