Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-11-2008, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Fluid Film Question

Hey Dano and Joy, Quick question for ya. I purchased 3 cans of Fluid Film after trying out your sample. I sprayed it on two of my mower decks as well as all aspects of the bagging parts to reduce clogging. I went through a full can and what was left of my sample can. Does that sound about right? Did I go too light or heavy? The decks were 48" and 52". Also, with mowing and/or leaf clean-ups nearly all day every day how long until I should reapply? I just would like to make sure so I can order more sooner than later. Thanks!
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-12-2008, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bill, I wish I could give you a definitive answer. I am not in the business, so I would not be the best to give advice. Here are some testimonials I have regarding Fluid Film for this application, though.

"I did use Fluid Film just this past week on a craftsman GT mower deck that was rusty (after I thoroughly scraped and cleaned off all the loose rust. Hosed it off and let it air dry in the sun.)
Mowed the lawn yesterday, some wet grass areas.
After finishing drove the GT up onto a couple of car ramps to hose out what I thought was going to be a huge mess. ( of course waiting until everything cooled down.)
To my surprise very little wet grass sticking to the under side of the deck. And very easy to hose off what was sticking there.
I will use Fluid Film again.
I could tell while I was mowing that the deck was not clogging as bad as it usual does just by the sound and by the amount of grass clippings flying out from under the deck chute.
Fluid Film smells great too...lol
And it does appear to really penetrate well into the rusted areas of metal.
Also, it will not burn the grass when mowing with it sprayed on a deck".

"I first sprayed the FF on the bottom of my deck though, and the grass was tall and thick with all the rain we have had in the past week here in VA. Not a piece stuck - literally. My deck is fairly new so it had good paint to spray it on but I was completely amazed. I had prepped with my 5 in 1 painters tool and the deck was clean but it wouldn't have dropped every blade of grass the way it did without the Fluid Film - strongest recommendation from me."

"I purchased 2 cases of fluid film (biggest aerosol) about a year ago and used them on the underside of the mower deck. After every 8 cutting hours we scraped the decks and changed the blades. Cut grass buildup by 90% on the underside of the deck, and I like the fact its treating rust when applied. The underside of my mower decks are flawless. I just ordered a 5 gallon jug and will be using that on the underside of my exmarks. I will apply once after we are done leaf cleanups before we put the equipment away for winter, so it has a chance to sit, and then day to day spring 08 cutting season. Ill let you know my thoughts. By the way, I love your product."

Any other recommendations?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here are a few more testimonials:

"I try to do it everytime I change my blades, works really well in preventing grass build up on my new Triton. Sprayed it before clean-ups and the other day when we changed our blades the deck was clean as new."

"We use it on our snow and ice equipment, it is the absolutely best thing you can get to prevent rust on a plow. We do our decks too."

"This morning, I mowed my soaking wet grass (after 2" of rain overnite). I removed approximately the top 2.5" off the top with absolutely NO CLUMPING whatsover. And yes, the underside of the deck was coated with Fluid Film - two yards ago. BTW, the underside still has no build-up of grass."

"Get the deck VERY clean, let it dry completely, then apply it thoroughly. By thoroughly I I mean make sure every part of the deck is covered. It doesn't have to be dripping from over-applying. Personally, I apply it at the end of the day, let it "sit" overnight, and the next day you are good-to-go."
Old 11-12-2008, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dano50 -- (is that like "Book 'em Danno on Hawaii 50"?) I received your free sample last spring. Then we bought a case of it. We use it on everything, and my guys love it. Received another 12 can case of it today (from Lawn Cutters Supply, Kentucky). Just in time cuz we use the sh&t out of it. Anyway I wanted to thank you for a very very FINE product. We won't go back to "you know what". Nice to have you as a sponsor of lawnsite.com + overseas
Old 11-12-2008, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Dano50 -- (is that like "Book 'em Danno on Hawaii 50"?) I received your free sample last spring. Then we bought a case of it. We use it on everything, and my guys love it. Received another 12 can case of it today (from Lawn Cutters Supply, Kentucky). Just in time cuz we use the sh&t out of it. Anyway I wanted to thank you for a very very FINE product. We won't go back to "you know what". Nice to have you as a sponsor of lawnsite.com + overseas
Larry- Do you have any insight to my question? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-12-2008, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dano- Thanks for the reply and for the testimonials. I love the product and will be ordering some cases for next year. Thanks again.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-13-2008, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Thanks for the feedback! This is a great site and we love being on here. Yeah, the Dano50 came from Hawaii 50. I loved that show as a kid. I grew up hearing "Book em Dano!"
Old 11-13-2008, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAWNS View Post
Dano- Thanks for the reply and for the testimonials. I love the product and will be ordering some cases for next year. Thanks again.
It is always nice to hear that our marketing efforts are paying off. Now post a pic using a big can and I'll ship out a Fluid Film T-Shirt for free!
Old 11-13-2008, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I definitely will. I'm behind on taking pictures as I have some Thanksgiving deadlines for leaf cleanups. As for a little update...we were doing leaf cleanups today in some wet conditions and my decks were clean as a whistle. Then it started pouring and we finished a cleanup in heavy rain and everything was clean and no clogging. Great product an I'll post a picture as soon as I have a chance. Thanks again!
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com