Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-13-2008, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Questions for Kentucky lco's

I own & run a lawn & landscaping business in FL. My family & I are considering a move in a few years & I want to do as much research as I can on the areas that we're considering. Kentucky is one of the states. The problem is my business. It's doing pretty well in this area. I've been at it for a few years, but have lived down here all of my life. I've taken classes in Horticulture & Nursery Operations (but they were tailored for FL). I'm wondering how hard it would be to start over up there. Most of my accounts are properties that are only 7-11,000 sq. ft. I actually prefer smaller properties (5-10,000 sq ft). I have a couple that are about 17,000 sq. ft. & for my equipment that is big. I have a 42" z, a 32" w/b & a 21" push. I also do pressure washing & I seal cement driveways, etc. In your opinion how hard would it be for me to start over up there? Would I need new, bigger equipment? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

You will definitely need bigger equipment. There are sub-divisions with 1/4 acre lots, but most have 1/3 or more. I live in the Louisville area - and there are many with 5 acre lots in the surrounding counties. Then, there are a lot of people that aren't in sub-divisions with a wide variety of lawn sizes - but, all bigger than the sub-divisions.

Our grass may need to be cut just one more time this year. The last two summers we have had serious droughts and landscapers are hurting. Of course, many of their customers have irrigation systems, but not all. I don't. And, I don't think I cut grass for most of July, August, or September. It starts to get mowed again in late April (if I recall). I know it always is nice and green for Derby Day (1st Sat. in May).

You will have lots of competition for regular mowing - it seems that few people even own a mower anymore around here.

I hope this helps.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:26 AM
LawnSite Member

I live close to what is considered the primary area for retirement here in Kentucky.
This would be the towns of Benton and Murray Kentucky. There are also the Edyville/Kuttawa and Grand Rivers Areas. These towns are located close to Barkley and Kentucky Lakes and there are always new condominiums and subdivisions being built on a yearly basis.
So far as your 42 in z turn is concerned it might be a good idea to keep it on the trailer. The ground up here is a lot different than in Florida and there are a lot of tight areas located next to hills and wooded lots where it would be good to have a 42 in z turn mower.
You would definitely need one or possibly two of the largest diesel z turn mowers that you could get your hands on. Some of the yards down here have two acre front yards and two acre back yards. Seriously you should come up here on a vacation some time and look at the sizes of these properties. Also rent a boat and travel the length of the lakes and look at some of the lake front homes and take a look at their sizes.
You should also contact some of the real estate agencies in these areas and request a copy of their properties listings.

Last edited by BIGBOY2008; 11-24-2008 at 03:34 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBOY2008 View Post
I live close to what is considered the primary area for retirement here in Kentucky.
This would be the towns of Benton and Murray Kentucky. There are also the Edyville/Kuttawa and Grand Rivers Areas. These towns are located close to Barkley and Kentucky Lakes and there are always new condominiums and subdivisions being built on a yearly basis.
So far as your 42 in z turn is concerned it might be a good idea to keep it on the trailer. The ground up here is a lot different than in Florida and there are a lot of tight areas located next to hills and wooded lots where it would be good to have a 42 in z turn mower.
You would definitely need one or possibly two of the largest diesel z turn mowers that you could get your hands on. Some of the yards down here have two acre front yards and two acre back yards. Seriously you should come up here on a vacation some time and look at the sizes of these properties. Also rent a boat and travel the length of the lakes and look at some of the lake front homes and take a look at their sizes.
You should also contact some of the real estate agencies in these areas and request a copy of their properties listings.
Thanks for the info.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
You will definitely need bigger equipment. There are sub-divisions with 1/4 acre lots, but most have 1/3 or more. I live in the Louisville area - and there are many with 5 acre lots in the surrounding counties. Then, there are a lot of people that aren't in sub-divisions with a wide variety of lawn sizes - but, all bigger than the sub-divisions.

Our grass may need to be cut just one more time this year. The last two summers we have had serious droughts and landscapers are hurting. Of course, many of their customers have irrigation systems, but not all. I don't. And, I don't think I cut grass for most of July, August, or September. It starts to get mowed again in late April (if I recall). I know it always is nice and green for Derby Day (1st Sat. in May).

You will have lots of competition for regular mowing - it seems that few people even own a mower anymore around here.

I hope this helps.
Thank you, it helps.