Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-23-2008, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnworks View Post
I don't think Jnyz's rates are applicable to most of us judging by some of the other pricing I have seen from him as well.

I want to see your crib JNyz.
Not sure which one you want to see so I also included a link to my vacation home.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/21.../10069024_zpid

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/74.../55317621_zpid
Old 11-23-2008, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

we charge 60% of the retail of the plant, not our discounted price. Unless, its a cheap plant like mums for example well charge about $6-$10 for each plant
Old 11-23-2008, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A little over triple the price of the plant here.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 11-23-2008, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNyz View Post
Not sure which one you want to see so I also included a link to my vacation home.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/21.../10069024_zpid

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/74.../55317621_zpid
I would be interested in learning more about your company. You should start a thread.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

At least 2 times the plant price.If a guy told me 1600 to plant 50 shrubs I'd tell you to hall ass.Your looking at 2 hours labor if you know how to plant.I dont think a waranty applies if you dont supply the plants.
<a href="http://www.cklandscapingflorida.com/">www.cklandscapingflorida.com
Old 11-23-2008, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnworks View Post
I would be interested in learning more about your company. You should start a thread.
What do you need to know that I go to work at 6AM, get home at 6PM and bid on everything that I can? Oh one more thing, I bid by the man hour 50-80 depending on what equipment will be on site.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNyz View Post
What do you need to know that I go to work at 6AM, get home at 6PM and bid on everything that I can? Oh one more thing, I bid by the man hour 50-80 depending on what equipment will be on site.
Very helpful! Thanks.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

JNyz, how many crews are you running? I agree with bidding by the man hour.....derived from production rates and equipment on site. In your proposals, are you ultimatley showing line item install $ per plant.....back-tracking from cost per man hour?

To anyone that estimates plant installation strictly by a 2x-4x multiplier: does this cover your costs properly while providing the profit you are looking for.....every time? Isn't that kind of like bidding a paver terrace by the square foot, without taking into consideration all the variables like travel, cuts, excavation, etc? Can be dangerous if you take the quick and easy 'square-foot' approach. Our profit margin is comfortable at 10% on L/ OH/M. But, if a client supplies all the material, we still add 10% of what the material would have cost us to supply. Anybody else factor Profit this way....have any other suggestions?

We are fairly new at bidding landscaping, however we are right on point for bidding hardscape and waterscape construction. When factoring in items such as mulch, bed prep/amendment, do you roll that into the plant multiplier (if that is the best method) or treat it as it's own item? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it would be better to know exactly what it's going to cost, item by item, making sure all my bases are covered.....rather than shooting from the hip with some average multiplier. Just gathering opinions, preferences and information here......any thoughts?
Old 11-24-2008, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSGVA View Post
JNyz, how many crews are you running? I agree with bidding by the man hour.....derived from production rates and equipment on site. In your proposals, are you ultimatley showing line item install $ per plant.....back-tracking from cost per man hour?

To anyone that estimates plant installation strictly by a 2x-4x multiplier: does this cover your costs properly while providing the profit you are looking for.....every time? Isn't that kind of like bidding a paver terrace by the square foot, without taking into consideration all the variables like travel, cuts, excavation, etc? Can be dangerous if you take the quick and easy 'square-foot' approach. Our profit margin is comfortable at 10% on L/ OH/M. But, if a client supplies all the material, we still add 10% of what the material would have cost us to supply. Anybody else factor Profit this way....have any other suggestions?

We are fairly new at bidding landscaping, however we are right on point for bidding hardscape and waterscape construction. When factoring in items such as mulch, bed prep/amendment, do you roll that into the plant multiplier (if that is the best method) or treat it as it's own item? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it would be better to know exactly what it's going to cost, item by item, making sure all my bases are covered.....rather than shooting from the hip with some average multiplier. Just gathering opinions, preferences and information here......any thoughts?
I run two crews.

I was just putting a number out there that I would charge if a client was purchasing the plants like the one that started this this thread.

If I am purchasing the material I like to do 3 x material cost at the local wholesale nursery. If I sell the job I then put the material out to bid at 5-6 wholesale nurseries within 50 miles of the job. I do not kick back any savings except buy lunch for the GM of the nursery I get my material from. As far as maintenance goes I like doing that by the hour. Multiplying works for me but I can see how it might not work for everyone. I'm sorry if I was confusing on my original post.

I do believe clients do not go with the low bid more then 50% of the jobs I bid on. That is why you as contractors have to go out and sell yourself, not just drop off a proposal and walk away. Tell the client why you are good at what you do, show them the extra step you take, and the quality of your jobs.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Planting -goes by size of plants, or you can just charge 25.00/hour per man +material.
Also, it can depend greatly on soil type for example -need a jackammer to plant? in some areas around the Sacramento Valley there is rock, and there is heavy clay.
My company does price a labor cost per plant if the soil is low effort -at $1.00/1 gallon, $2.50 per 2 gal., $7.50 for 5 gallon, $12.75 for 15 gal., and $75.00 per tree for 24" box.
The bottom line is how long does it take to move the plant, dig the hole, and backfill.
Using fertilizer packets? charge for each. Soil amendment? cost plus markup.
Delivery cost - usually $50.00 to 75.00 depending on distance. -hope this helps.