Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-15-2008, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I just use wood screws and have had no problems. This year, I'm using last years screws. Looks good to me.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 11-16-2008, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for bringing me back to this thread. I meant to say that your leaf box looks good, not mine. My previous post was too ambiguous.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How will that single axle handle the weight?

Do you think the trailer will handle the weight of the leaves? I was thinking of doing something similar to my single axle 6x12. I would run the leaves over with a mower with a discharge chute on, to grind them up a bit first...Then suck them into the trailer. I Think to unload them I would put a pallet with chains or heavy duty rope attached ( place it in the front of the trailer prior to loading) and leave some chain or rope hanging out the back. Then to unload you tie it to a big tree (or where I dump mine, they have I beams in the ground to hook onto) and pull forward. the pallet will pull out all the leaves.

I am just curious about the weight issue..

Good Luck .....

I am building mine today..( no football for me, I have to get it done)
Old 11-16-2008, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteOutdoorImpact View Post
Do you think the trailer will handle the weight of the leaves? I was thinking of doing something similar to my single axle 6x12. I would run the leaves over with a mower with a discharge chute on, to grind them up a bit first...Then suck them into the trailer. I Think to unload them I would put a pallet with chains or heavy duty rope attached ( place it in the front of the trailer prior to loading) and leave some chain or rope hanging out the back. Then to unload you tie it to a big tree (or where I dump mine, they have I beams in the ground to hook onto) and pull forward. the pallet will pull out all the leaves.

I am just curious about the weight issue..

Good Luck .....

I am building mine today..( no football for me, I have to get it done)

yeah weight crossed my mind but good grief, there's a 3500 lb axle under there. How much could 300 cf of leaves weigh even when wet? Maybe I underestimated it. Guess I'll find out.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey4671 View Post
I think the lumber cost me somewhere around $160 at lowes and I got all my bolts from Ace Hardware which was around maybe at the most $15. Had to buy a new skil saw too which was $40. Still need to buy a tarp to go over it. Believe it or not, I did 90% of this by myself. Had to get the wife to help me tighten two bolts simply because I couldn't reach to hold the wrench on the nut and use the cordless impact at the same time.

If I use the Agri Fab motor I'll mount it on the tounge on the trailer. If I get this Billy Goat I'm looking at I'll just hang it on the tailgate of the truck. This loader is a 8hp Briggs with a new hose. Guy wants $500...considering offering him $350 cash for it.
both of those are worthless when loading leaves. you would be better off raking and tarping! I am not trying to be a jerk either just trying to save you some time.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frue View Post
both of those are worthless when loading leaves. you would be better off raking and tarping! I am not trying to be a jerk either just trying to save you some time.
I understand and I appreciate your input. however I have to look at what's in the budget and a brand new 12hp loader ain't possible. I've sucked up many a leaf with this little Agri Fab vac over the years and if I could get this BG for what he's asking or less, it'll work for me. I don't have many places where I have to remove the leaves anyway. Thanks again. I know you're not being a prick and I understand your concern.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ok...yes this is old thread. This is how the trailer ended up...only now I have a black mesh tarp over it. I need some thoughts on unloading this. Right now what I am leaning towards is one of these 16' wire panels that you can get at TSC or the farmer's co-op. Bow it into the trailer and tie chains off to it. Hook the chains to a tree, fencepost etc and pull ahead. Hand unloaded this thing a few times last year and that SUCKED. By the way...I got a deal on a new 13hp Honda Billy Goat loader. Yes it's still a small loader but it does what I need to do.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

anybody?....
Old 10-20-2009, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just use a palet with tow straps tied to each side... about 30ft each side, then bring them together and hook both to a heavy chain that wraps around a pole, tree or whatever etc.. Pull forward and 80% or sometimes more comes right out. then its just a little raking or whatever..

Good luck to you