Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Member

stupid

so i paid 150 to a guy i used to work with who promised he could make my website the way i wanted and what apps he would use ... well he did the same thing i couldve done using weebly drag and drop and make it look like a 2 year old did it ... it was the most simplest site ive ever saw just sentences with pics no flare ... i erased the whole thing ... can anyone build me a site ..
nickslawnmaintenance.com thats the site ... any help is appreciated
Old 02-10-2014, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine my be a little better, but not much. I wasn't happy and my person will not help either.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Old saying of you get what you pay for comes to mind. You might ask to see examples of the next gurus work before any cash is forked over.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2014, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlmct View Post
so i paid 150 to a guy i used to work with who promised he could make my website the way i wanted and what apps he would use ... well he did the same thing i couldve done using weebly drag and drop and make it look like a 2 year old did it ... it was the most simplest site ive ever saw just sentences with pics no flare ... i erased the whole thing ... can anyone build me a site ..
nickslawnmaintenance.com thats the site ... any help is appreciated
I recall your other thread where you talked about hiring him. Sorry it went the way it did.

My assumption, based on your previous thread, and our advice, is that you have little to no budget to do this. I would go with the previous recommendations and use something like squarespace.com. I seem to recall that you bought hosting somewhere, before having a plan of what you wanted to do, so now you're going to have to decide if that's also dead money or if you're going to continue down that road, having to completely DIY a site, so as not to have to eat the hosting. (personally, for $60 or whatever it was, I'd eat it, take your medicine, and find a good, hosted DIY platform)

Quote:
Can anyone build me a site
Of course. Is anyone on here just going to build one for you? I think you might be waiting a long time on that request. You really need to just pump the brakes a bit, reassess what you're trying to accomplish, take another breath, and decide what your realistic budget for this endeavor is.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

thank you i appreciate it ... i did the hosting thru ipage and theres a simple build site app called weebly drag and drop... ive been playing sround with that and im gonna come up with just a simple site just to get it going for now
Old 02-10-2014, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

To piggy back on what Tony said, I'll go a step further and give you an action plan since it appears your budget is close to $0.

1. As Tony said, completely scrap the other website.

2. Decide exactly what you are trying to do with your website. A website for website's sake is a poor reason to have a website. If you are trying to rank in organic searches and the local six or seven pack of Google, then take all your free time until spring gets here and download and read "Moz's Beginner's Guide to SEO." Seriously, you should know this guide like the back of your hand. Once you feel comfortable, proceed to step 3.

3. Next, read everything you can about local citations, local search, and how to show up in the Google local results. Read all the free info on this website: http://www.localvisibilitysystem.com/. Download his free guide. You don't need much more than this. After figuring out local search, now you're ready for a simple website.

2. Go to http://www.squarespace.com/pricing/, sign up for their basic site that is $10/month. If you are happy with your logo, use it. If not, go to Fiverr and have a few designed for $5. Pick the one you like best. Back to squarespace, you should pick a nice, clean design and make sure it is easy to read, not too busy, and clearly tells the site visitor what you do and where you serve.

3. Write the website copy for the site. If you struggle with writing, I think you should still write it yourself, but then find a broke college student majoring in something related to writing or English and offer them a few bucks or beers to proofread. Remember, you must take what you've learned about SEO and Local search and write your copy based on that (chances are the English guy/gal wouldn't know SEO from biology). After you've done that, then have someone look it over if the written word isn't your strong point.

4. If you already have your own pictures, great! Upload to the portions of your website pictures that describe your services. If not, buy a decent used camera and start keeping it in the truck with you. As you finish jobs, take a few. Some will be good, some will suck, but the main point is you want original pictures that show the visitor what your words are describing.

5. Pick a content strategy for a blog or "tips" page. It doesn't need to be elaborate. Don't make this harder than it needs to be. Not sure what you write about? Start here: Make a list of every question a customer or potential customer has ever asked you. Answer those questions with the written word, videos, pictures, whatever you like.

After you've completed these steps, you will have more knowledge and a better website than 95% or more of your competition. All for a few hundred bucks a year...

It really is just as simple as I outlined above. Don't over complicate the process!

Sorry for any typos or whatever, on an Ipad.