Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-16-2008, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Carter's Landscaping (project to full time small business)

I started Carter's Landscaping as a High School Ag project in 1997. I started with a 1/2 ton pick-up, 16' trailer and a 36" walkbehind. The mowing part of the industry kept me busy and clients kept calling. I was more interested in the landscape design/install side of the industry. So off to college for some hortculture classes. Ended up working for the City of Lexington as a Landscape supervisor for parks and rec., still hanging on to the business part time. About a year ago I was tired of the 8-5 and started with the fire dept in Scott county. Now I have trippled the size of the business and run it on my off days. I now have a 07 chevy 3500 crew cab and 2 1 ton mid 80s model chevys, one pick-up and one flatbed. I have a dump trailer, goosneck mower trailer, and 3 tag alongs, 2 toro z-turns, 1 bobcat walk behind, and small power equipment too numerous to name. I have built a leaf vac system to go on the goosneck dump that saves me hours and hours on leaf collection. Business is still steady, even with the slow economy. WORD Of mouth and a good CUSOMER SERVICE record is the best form advertizing i have encountered.

John Carter
Carter's Landscaping
Georgetown, KY
carterslandscaping@gmail.com
Old 11-21-2008, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Congratulations, John. You sound super busy, and all the hard work will pay off!

I agree, keep your marketing focus on those two tools, and the BEST part is the are FREE!

Anyone have any customer service tips to share that we can all benefit from?
Old 11-21-2008, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretary View Post
Congratulations, John. You sound super busy, and all the hard work will pay off!

I agree, keep your marketing focus on those two tools, and the BEST part is the are FREE!

Anyone have any customer service tips to share that we can all benefit from?
On my high end accounts, and the ones that always pay on time, no complaints etc, I send them a Christmas card each year with a gift card in it, usually $25 or so. It works out well. The good ones are hard to find, so when you have found them, go the extra mile to keep them.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Toro_4ME View Post
On my high end accounts, and the ones that always pay on time, no complaints etc, I send them a Christmas card each year with a gift card in it, usually $25 or so. It works out well. The good ones are hard to find, so when you have found them, go the extra mile to keep them.
Super! Thanks for sharing!

I agree that customer retention is another area where you get too busy sometimes, and it falls through the cracks.