Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-08-2014, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Last one: my marketing plan for forestry mulching/brush mowing

there are alot of knowledgeable guys on here when it comes to mulching and brush mowing.

in the next few weeks, i will purchasing a CTL w/ brushcutter(possibly a bradco ground shark extreme) and possibly a mmulcher head.
i already run a tractor with cab and heavy duty cutter. the CTL will also be used for my sandbag company.

I know word of mouth is king when it comes to a niche market like mulching. the below plan is what im going to do to get my foot in the door inorder to get the chance for my work to be seen. i have made several good contacts through emails.
i am making a packet to drop off at the following: Also leave a business card and introduce myself.

Real Estate offices
Developers
Construction Companies
DOTD offices
Tree Companies
Large Landscape Companies

also had some signs made up to put out on all my bushhogging jobs also.

i know its a gamble contacting tree companies, but i would like to build a relationship when i refer them tree removals etc and in return they refer or subcontract any mulching or underbrush mowing jobs.

on days im not busy, i plan to beat feet and start getting my name and what i can do out there.

sorry for the long rant, this is something i should have done years ago instead of trying to do everything under the sun related to landscape,tree and clearing work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2014, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jacob, was curious, I like the brush cutting idea, I think there is money in that work, especially with having the equiptment for it, you seem to get a good bit of brush jobs. I like your tractor set up. Was curious to wonder if you ever looked into highway mowing. Does your state sub contract highway mowing, that might be something to look into, I know your tractor isn't very large but you might be able to get some work with the state.
In our area our state roads get contracted out in our area for highway mowing, was allways curious in that. good luck.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

The dotd projects are gonna be hard to get they let jobs in large sections of clearing and grubbing items. Like we have one coming up in our office 10 mile stretch on greenwell springs road. Some small projects come thru but not that often Like the intersection on la22 at i10 be fore the lighting job let
Old 09-08-2014, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not to get off topic where this thread is intended to go but I have to agree with Bryon. Highway mowing down here is pretty good money. You never see the same guys doing it though. But either way Jacob I think if you stick with i and dont change your mind on this I think you will do fine.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahb195 View Post
Not to get off topic where this thread is intended to go but I have to agree with Bryon. Highway mowing down here is pretty good money. You never see the same guys doing it though. But either way Jacob I think if you stick with i and dont change your mind on this I think you will do fine.
Even maybe powerline mowing, I know that might be alittle dangerous, but I know guys do it, I bet there are good money contracts in that as well. When it comes to brush mowing there is a market for it I bet, just got to get those contacts made, maybe I will look a tractor some day as I been thinking about this for the last few years, but I'm still in the lawn and landscape market mostly for now, but as the finances progress down the road it might be something for me to think about as well, I could even put a blower on the tractor for the winter time
Old 09-08-2014, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I do work for other tree companies who find it easier to hire out with machines/attachments than rent. I hire them for my take downs and hand clearing in return. I pay more than I would pay my own laborers and vice/versa but I get a crew with 30 years experience on technical jobs and they use me for a lot of their heavy lifting, cleanup and disposal.
I'd also look up the hunting clubs for next Spring/Summer. I had a friend in N. La. that couldn't find anyone to mulch shooting lanes and he was going to pay me to come run a rental unit for him because he was desperate for quality work.
Lots of guys have machinery but not many show up when booked and others do a poor job so there is a market for small mulchers.

In TX, there were projects with the military bases that only let micro businesses bid. A number of years ago, a friend of mine got ( I think) a contract to clear on an army base with a Cat skid and a Davco. He said the military was slow to pay but they offered him more work later. I got on their call list and was offered jobs to bid several times too.
I've never been one to hit up offices or stop by construction sites.. that's just me but when people stop by to talk with me (as long as I'm not running the machine or busy), I'm happy to talk and I bet you can make some good contacts. As a contractor, I find it refreshing to talk to someone who is hungry, sharp, and wants to make a go of it. I start thinking about a strong sub.
A friend of mine is a successful salesman. He picks up donuts, coffee, cold water, gatorade, etc., for his outside sales. I've never tried but could use a donut now and again!
Mulchers draw attention whether they are big or small. Keep that in mind and put your signs up when you've done a good job (don't put them up when it looks like a bomb went off 2 hours into the job. I wait until later in the day.
Good luck!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 09-08-2014, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I know here (in La) the highway mowing is good money but super competitive. The dot here rolls other stuff in like tree removal litter pick up and a certain number of cuts per year
Old 09-08-2014, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've started putting together a list of emails for local and some national tree companies. Going to write up an introductory email to see if I get any responses since I don't have any free days this week to start dropping off packets. Hoping maybe I can become a sub on some pipeline or utlity clearing projects.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2014, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What are you doing with you mowing/landscape work?
Old 09-09-2014, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You take this for what it is worth but if ever intend too mulch anywhere but in the middle of the woods then that Eco mulcher will end damaging something. It will eject stuff 100's of feet while operating. I would get a mulching head and a lighter duty brush cutter if it was me. Rotary cutters can be very dangerous.