Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2008, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Crazy worker story

So a couple weeks ago this 38 year old guy calls me up askin for work. He said he saw my ad and wanted to know if he needed a helper. I really didnt wanna use him but i had some jobs that i couldnt handle myself.

Anyways first day worked out good,he worked hard so i was happy. But then this motherFer calls me at 9pm one night asking me to bring him $60....he gave me some bullshit excuse that his grandma had a stroke.......this is actually waht he said "YO scott man, my grandma had a stroke!!!!!! i need 60 dollars"I just said no and hung up the phone.

SO it had been 2 weeks and I needed some help again, he worked on friday and monday no prob. EXCept come night when its 1am and i hear my phone goin off , and then i hear the guy outside MY HOUSE at 1 am!!!!!!......i was sleeping and this guy has the nerve to stop by and try to ask me for something after i already given him work. I didnt pick up after the 14 times he called, but when i finally saw him leave. I called him back, siad the Fword every other word and told him to never show up here again.

Im pretty pissed right now. I hope i never see his hoodrat ass again. YOu guys got any stories like this?
Old 11-18-2008, 03:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Nope, never. I screen my employees fairly closely, I want people I can trust. Worst I've ever had was one who was doing a spring clean up at a mall with me. Asks me if I can give him a ride somewhere at 11am (this is like 9:30am) I ask where, he says, "to a job interview" Guess he wasn't enjoying the outdoor work.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 11-18-2008, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnTamer View Post
Nope, never. I screen my employees fairly closely, I want people I can trust. Worst I've ever had was one who was doing a spring clean up at a mall with me. Asks me if I can give him a ride somewhere at 11am (this is like 9:30am) I ask where, he says, "to a job interview" Guess he wasn't enjoying the outdoor work.
That is too funny. Got to love that honesty.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I worked with a few crazies down in Florida. One was a coked out loser who always would call me after work begging to hang out. There was another one that totally lied about his whole life story to the company we worked at as well as me. He said he was married and had a kid but was having marital problems. He said he used to do drugs but was off them. Turns out he only had a girlfriend who had kicked him out and he was very heavy into drugs. He was threatening to kill her and people overheard and called the cops, guy went to jail, jumped a co worker, big mess. There are plenty more, just don't feel like typing them.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-18-2008, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the stories. Now i know why i work solo!

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 11-18-2008, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Thanks for the stories. Now i know why i work solo!
Im goin solo now, alot easier to cleanups by myself now that i got a mower.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are gonna take a chance and use someone without having workers comp, or pay payroll taxes, you have to roll with all the other bs that comes with it.

Back in the day I had my share of crack head tweakers calling my house or showing up on saturday while me and ,my family were having supper. Needless to say I dealt with this problem with a very haevy hand. I will never use day laborers or pay employees cash ever again. Its been about ( years since i even had a family member help out during the summer under the table.

I had a guy rig one of our mowers up so that the blade stayed engaged all the time.............yep he chopped his toe up like hamburger. He kept it but it was a huge mess. lesson learned here
workers comp!!!!!!!!and
LLC/ INC/ S CORP....even if u r solo.

CYA Brotha if u dont think they can pass a drug test then they probly cannot.
steer clear of the idiot losers they will cost u alot more money then they will save/make you in the long run.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenmanCT View Post
So a couple weeks ago this 38 year old guy calls me up askin for work. He said he saw my ad and wanted to know if he needed a helper. I really didnt wanna use him but i had some jobs that i couldnt handle myself.

Anyways first day worked out good,he worked hard so i was happy. But then this motherFer calls me at 9pm one night asking me to bring him $60....he gave me some bullshit excuse that his grandma had a stroke.......this is actually waht he said "YO scott man, my grandma had a stroke!!!!!! i need 60 dollars"I just said no and hung up the phone.

SO it had been 2 weeks and I needed some help again, he worked on friday and monday no prob. EXCept come night when its 1am and i hear my phone goin off , and then i hear the guy outside MY HOUSE at 1 am!!!!!!......i was sleeping and this guy has the nerve to stop by and try to ask me for something after i already given him work. I didnt pick up after the 14 times he called, but when i finally saw him leave. I called him back, siad the Fword every other word and told him to never show up here again.

Im pretty pissed right now. I hope i never see his hoodrat ass again. YOu guys got any stories like this?
Sounds like this guy has a drug problem.

Lawn care in Pensacola, Florida.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I always heard that the worst thing about our industry was LABOR.

I'm glad I'm solo.

LSU Horticulture Degree
Commercial State License
Turf and Ornamental Spray License

Spray Services offered:
-Insect Control
-Fertilization
-Weed Control
-Disease Control
-Soil Testing
Old 11-22-2008, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hate to say this, but when this individual showed up at your house in the middle of the night, calling and calling you - you should have called the police. Let them deal with it - it's what they are paid to do. The fact you called him back may have done more damage than good, but at least (hopefully) it's done with now.