Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-27-2008, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrick View Post
I'm confident that if I do a good job, they'll be asking for a multi-year contract. This place like to keep people around if they are doing a good job. And I'll make sure it's worth my while before I sign...
I wouldn't bet on that. You were the lowest bidder so they are obviously only concerned about price. In that case, they will put it out to bid next year and hope someone comes in at $29,000 like previously posted. I only say this because of the Solo plant I landed. I've already offered them a multi year deal and they stated that they have to get at least 3 bids each year related to policy.
I've had Sean Adams suggest that I get some residential base because of the uncertainty of commercial. I'm almost 100% commercial and sweat losing a contract every year when it comes due.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradisescaper View Post
as was said before i do think you bid alittle too low but it may be possible to still make a good pay check and if you hold on to this acct. raise the price (about 15/20%)next year and buy a 72" if you get it. thats what id try to do
Have you ever tried to raise a commercial account 15% or 20%? They want to complain about just the standard 3%. I have never gotten more then a 5% increase from the previous year. Commercial work sucks cause there is little to no loyalty.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i just got back a condo complex that had 4 years ago. some guy under bid me by $4,000 per year. needles to say you get what you pay for. i also raised their price $3,000 per year and they didnt bat an eye.

by the way herrick this condo complex is a little over an acre and i will have about 10 man hours a month into maintaining it.

contract $13,000

hours on site 70

per hr $185

38 visits per year = $342 each time i go there and the place only takes me solo 1 hr to mow trim blow

Last edited by JKOOPERS; 12-27-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo8802 View Post
I wouldn't bet on that. You were the lowest bidder so they are obviously only concerned about price. In that case, they will put it out to bid next year and hope someone comes in at $29,000 like previously posted. I only say this because of the Solo plant I landed. I've already offered them a multi year deal and they stated that they have to get at least 3 bids each year related to policy.
I've had Sean Adams suggest that I get some residential base because of the uncertainty of commercial. I'm almost 100% commercial and sweat losing a contract every year when it comes due.
Well, they never actually put it out for bids when I got it. I made a cold call and they told me to feel free to submit a bid. Contract just happened to be up for it, and the previous guy just happened to raise his price 36%. Really was just in the right place at the right time. I'm pretty confident that they'll keep me around unless I really screw up.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

he probably raised his price because he realized he was getting the short end of the stick
Old 12-27-2008, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Herrick - Good Luck and I'm glad you got the contract. NOW you will see after the growth season kicks in how difficult this will be to do SOLO. Also you will see that at $30,000 for this 40 acres +/- you will get your tail kicked. Seriously, I have complexes I do like this and $45,000 - $50,000 is the right area to be at to make 15-20K. I have 2 WAM mowers - (12 feet) and 1 AR-250 and these machines fly through these types of mowing - I could mow this in 6 hours seat time on these machines - 60" ztr will take you 20-25 hours - - Good Luck. e
Old 12-27-2008, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

WAM would be almost useless in most of the areas... too many obsticals and narrow spaces between houses.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKOOPERS View Post
i just got back a condo complex that had 4 years ago. some guy under bid me by $4,000 per year. needles to say you get what you pay for. i also raised their price $3,000 per year and they didnt bat an eye.

by the way herrick this condo complex is a little over an acre and i will have about 10 man hours a month into maintaining it.

contract $13,000

hours on site 70

per hr $185

38 visits per year = $342 each time i go there and the place only takes me solo 1 hr to mow trim blow
Wow, that's awesome!
Old 12-28-2008, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
God, fate, whatever you want to call it is so funny... might remember the big school I was bidding on and lost cause it was too big for me... well, I landed something even better. Just got word yesterday that I won the bid for a local retirement community... about 40 acres total, but only about 1/2 that is grass. About 70 duplexes and 2 larger facilities... best part it's about 5 minutes from my house. I'm figuring about 25-30 hours time, and won the bid at $30k/yr. This along with my other accounts and some realistic growth will put me well over what I'm making at my current PITA job, and be able to provide so much better for my wife and kids, and hopefully have more time in the cold months to spend with them. Photo of the property is attached. How do you think I made out?
I would think this is worth 45000 just in mowing and trimming.Hedge trimming and edging is another story.But good luck.

PEOPLE LOOK FOR ANSWERS FROM A MAN THAT CAN ONLY BE GIVEN FROM GOD.

KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH (JESUS) WILL SET YOU FREE!
Old 01-11-2009, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
God, fate, whatever you want to call it is so funny... might remember the big school I was bidding on and lost cause it was too big for me... well, I landed something even better. Just got word yesterday that I won the bid for a local retirement community... about 40 acres total, but only about 1/2 that is grass. About 70 duplexes and 2 larger facilities... best part it's about 5 minutes from my house. I'm figuring about 25-30 hours time, and won the bid at $30k/yr. This along with my other accounts and some realistic growth will put me well over what I'm making at my current PITA job, and be able to provide so much better for my wife and kids, and hopefully have more time in the cold months to spend with them. Photo of the property is attached. How do you think I made out?
This is my first year bidding on anything big but that looks like a $50 to $55k project.

PEOPLE LOOK FOR ANSWERS FROM A MAN THAT CAN ONLY BE GIVEN FROM GOD.

KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH (JESUS) WILL SET YOU FREE!