Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-11-2009, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey man good luck with this one you prob. under bid a bit, but suck it up and dont let the quality of work see that you are not happy with price. Take it as a learning experience and try and grow from it. I think the deal with your dad might work out real well for you if he is easy going. Like you said it is a win win situation. I have been in your shoes I think that most of us as been. Not everybody can wake up in the morning and know everything!! Let us know how things are going for you, I too root for the underdog. Have a great 2009!!
Old 01-12-2009, 03:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

maybe you can make it back up selling, you know leaves mulch and the like. you have to have help so get in your training as soon as possible. i would have hit 25.00 per house with the thoughts of doing some landscaping .so good luck and get r done
Old 02-06-2009, 03:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked at that picture and thought, "well, with me and 2 guys, I could do that in 2 days". Now I dont do anything near that large or complex, but I sat down and broke it up and I figured 3 people / 2 days. I'd have 1 guy mowing just the open areas with no trimming by himself. And have 2 guys working together on the buildings lawns, 1 mowing, 1 trimming/blowing. Then I see your talking about almost 30 cuts for 30k... and well, I know there is no way I would touch that for $1k/cut. Sorry nope. Hope you dont loose your butt on it. If you hire someone to help you I'd be suprised if you do much better than just break even. If you do it all yourself, and it takes you 3-4 days, you can count on them not letting you bid on it again the following year.

Sorry I didnt bother reading the other 100 posts.

A bunch of websites that all forward to www.FargoSnow.com

where are the real business growth experts? I know you are here reading and keeping tabs on the industry. PM me...
Old 02-06-2009, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolluv View Post
Congrats. I'm curious as to what the other bids where. Did you get to see the other bids? That really seems low to me. There is a bunch of trimming and mowing there. I would think it would have been at least double that.

I don't know, would have to see it in person. Good Luck.

Dave...
What he said. I can't belive properties like this go with solo operators and listen to mowers all week long, and you left $15 k on the table. Good luck with it though.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good Job on the find!!! Good luck this mowing season!!!
6x12 Road King open trailer
Exmark Metro 48
Toro Proline 36 Belt Drive
Lawn Boy 21" commercial 2 stroke
Toro commercial 21"
Redmax EBZ 80001 BP
Redmax EBZ 8500 BP
Redmax CHT 2300 Hedge Trimmer
Redmax BCZ 2610 trimmer
Stihl BG 55
8 HP Push Blower

Solo Operation

My equipment and truck pics:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=283877
Old 02-07-2009, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

You might want to consider taking on a partner. That way you get a more motivated helper. Then convince your father to help out. That way you have 3 guys going at it. You should be able to get in and out in a day & 1/2 maybe two. That way you have 3-4 days to actually make some money.

Don't listen to all the negitives. Focus on the possitive.

1. you now have the confidence to go full time.
2. you have 30K in revenue( Cash Flow)
3. You will learn what took alot of people years to figure out all in one season.
4. You will learn how to deal with hardest demographic, elderly. They are also the fastest growing group and will always need your business. The older they get the less they can do. But you will find some that are total PITA!
5. You are now a real business. Welcome to the American Dream. Work your a$$ of and the money will come!

Good luck and Stay possitive!!
Old 02-07-2009, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

A number such as 30k may seem like a lot of money in a contract, but when you break it down to what you will be grossing per week, it wont seem as much. You also have to add in every one of your expenses, such as taxes, insurance, equipment depreciation, ect. You get the picture. From what started as a big number really ends up being that big of a number after you are all said and done. Its all about knowing your expenses at the end of the day. Best of luck to you! Hope it all works out for the best!
Old 02-08-2009, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have a question how is this going to be handled with the snow is it you or the maintenance guys
Old 02-08-2009, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maintenance guys will handle the snow... I've offered my services as a sub for plowing if they get really behind after a big snow.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, finally got the signed contract last Friday, so everything is good to go. Getting my Commercial Insurance going next week (I had a writer on my homeowners policy before). Lots to do in the next month, really getting the itch to get out there and get going... too bad it's still in the 30's!